Ireland Awaits!

Hello Everyone!!
2012-08-23 13.36.17.jpgMy name is Kelly Suter and this is my first blog entry!  I am very excited to keep you all up to date about my upcoming adventures in Ireland and my travels through Europe!  First, I will tell you a little about myself.  I am a junior psychology major and human development and family studies minor at Penn State, University Park.  I’m actively involved with research on campus through my work in the Context and Development lab in the department of psychology.  I have also been involved in THON through committees and organizations in my time at Penn State so far.  I was born and raised in the Philadelphia area and I live there now with my family.  I love to cook, run, read, and spend lots of time with family and friends.  I live close to many of my extended family members, so I have been lucky to grow up with a big, crazy, fun family around me.   

When I came to college, I knew that studying abroad was something that I definitely wanted to do.  When it came time to choose a place to go I was overwhelmed at the options I had before me!  I could go anywhere in the world.  After lots of research and reflection, I settled on Europe, and then chose Dublin, Ireland as my study abroad location.  I couldn’t be more excited!  Living in Europe I will have so many opportunities to travel to other countries.  Also, Ireland is very special to me because I have family ties there.   My grandfather was born there and came to America when he was 16-years-old.  I am looking forward to seeing where he came from and to get an idea of what his childhood was like in addition to meeting some of my family who live in Ireland and England.  Dublin will also be a great place to spend my semester because it will be a very different experience and lifestyle from Penn State.  I am excited to try out living and going to school in the city and taking in all of what Dublin has to offer.     

I am very excited and a little bit nervous about the trip.  I am leaving for Dublin in 5 days and right now I’m busy making sure I am prepared and have all the things I need.  I have never traveled anywhere on my own so this will be a very new experience for me!  I can’t wait for everything to begin.  I will be blogging frequently so I can share my experiences with you!

Have a safe and happy new year!  Next time I will write from Dublin!     

Location: Yardley, Pennsylvania

2 thoughts on “Ireland Awaits!

1. KELLY J SUTER

Thanks Stephanie! We just saw a little bit of the city today and it looks great from what we’ve seen so far! I can’t wait to explore more! I will be sure to be in touch when I come to Galway!

2. STEPHANIE JEAN LAPPLE

Kelly, Great reading your first blog! Let me just tell you, you are going to LOVE Dublin! I am on a train now traveling to Galway where I am studying abroad and New Year’s Eve was crazy to say the least. First of all, the people are awesome and extremely friendly. You will have more fun talking to people! Secondly, the atmosphere is awesome if you like the big city look! The thing about Europe, unlike America is that all the buildings are old and it really gives it a lot of character. There is so much to do, between the Guinness factory, bus tours, cathedrals, I was only there for 3 days and it feels like forever! Keep in touch while in Ireland because I am only 3 hours away! – Stephanie