Stephanie’s First Blog: Hello Galway!!

Hello! Bon Voyage! Galway here I come!

My name is Stephanie Lapple and thank you for taking the time to read my blog. Tomorrow marks the beginning of a grand adventure for me to GALWAY, IRELAND where I will be spending the next 5 months exploring a new part of the world. This blog is a “test run” for me, so I expect all my family and friends to respond to me saying that they were able to read it! πŸ™‚

Here is a little about myself,

I was born and raised in Le Roy, NY, a small town outside of Rochester, NY. I was schooled in catholic education my whole life, the point being my classes and friend circle were extremely small! After graduating high school with 40 students in my class, I sent on my way to Penn State, where there would be 40,000 students in my class. Currently, I am a junior going into my second semester at Penn State University (Galway), focusing on a path towards a career in law. My experience at Penn State has been extraordinary so far and I am so thankful for the friends and family that I have accumulated in the last 5 semesters. I thoroughly enjoy my studies, we as well as my sorority Alpha Chi Omega, football games, and late nights with friends. This semester I am sad to say goodbye for a short while to my boyfriend, Reilly who is graduating in the spring! I am very proud of you and know you will have a fun semester without me πŸ™‚

My thoughts about studying abroad began last year around this time when I was witnessing my roommate, Jessica apply for her trip to Chile this coming February. Galway sort of “fell into my lap” as I chose the program for its beautiful scenery and my personal ability to take an “other cultures” class in order to graduate on time with Penn State degree credits! The more I have talked about Galway with friends and family, the more I have discovered the mysteries it has to offer and the memories I am soon to make. Recently I have been reading a traveler’s book about Ireland my Aunt Clarice gave me, (Thank you!) and it has broadened my horizons slowly. I am definitely a “planner” and cannot wait to have the feeling of knowing that I can navigate the way of the land!

I sit here listening to my father pack as he is preparing for the trip as well. Being a good father, he has offered to come with me for the first week in order to help me carry luggage! (Although, I know he is more excited than I am…. He loves Ireland!) One thing I would like to emphasize off the bat is that I am an avid golfer and this definitely has influenced my decision to travel to Ireland. The golf clubs are already in the car!

Although it is so soon after Christmas, I believe that this is the right time for me to go in my life and that an incredible journey awaits me. My flight leaves Philadelphia Friday night at 9:05 and I arrive in Dublin at 8:50 am. I look forward to keeping in touch with friends and family as I encounter a new life overseas! Keep checking my blog once a week, I will be posting frequently. Pictures will be included often and videos as well. My next big event, besides the flight, will be New Years in Dublin! Think of me at 7:00 pm Eastern Time on December 31st, 5 hours is the time difference where I will be in Ireland. So, hello from the future!

Happy New Year to all and safe travels!

– Stephanie

Location: Le Roy, New York

One thought on “Stephanie’s First Blog: Hello Galway!!

1. Kasumi Hirokawa

Hi Stephanie! Thank you for commenting on my entry!

I really enjoyed reading your post. You must be really close to the people who are important to you. πŸ™‚
    That’s something I’ve hardly ever had, given how many times and how far away I move. But it sort of made me stronger in a way, because I know the importance of reaching out and being proactive in maintaining relationships.

It’s very sweet of your dad for offering to go to Galway with you πŸ™‚
    My mom did the same for me in my freshman year. It meant so much to me to have someone familiar near me in a foreign place.

I hope you’ll enjoy your time there!!!! And hopefully I’ll be able to show you around if you ever decide to visit London during the semester (or Shanghai, China during summer!).