Ciao!

As of today I have almost been in Milan for two weeks.  This seems unreal.  Time seems to be moving so quickly at times and yet I have begun to feel surprisingly adjusted to Milan.  This is my first entry only because the intense schedule throughout the first week and the start of classes this week preoccupied much of my time and direct attention.  I cannot stop thinking of all I want to see and do during my time in Europe and this is making it increasingly difficult to focus on what is actually going on around me.  I am hoping to gradually become less overwhelmed and begin to appreciate (more so) what I have seen in place of what I have not. 

On Sunday the 8th I left home with my overstuffed bags and stepped onto the first plane I have been on in over a decade.  I couldn’t sleep because I couldn’t stop marveling over the fact that I was actually leaving the country for the first time.  The plane had a map of where it was at a particular time and I watched intently as we moved out of the United States, into Canada and then over the Atlantic Ocean.  After dinner it seemed like only a few minutes had passed before an announcement was made that breakfast was about to be served and we were about to arrive in Copenhagen.  It was at this time the announcements in English stopped and were replaced with what I imagine was Danish.  This I didn’t understand because I figured the plane was coming from New York, right? So as much as I had no clue what the captain was saying I knew that it was here I had to make my one transfer to a smaller plane going directly to Malpensa (one of Milan’s airports).  The flight was beautiful as we went directly over the Alps where nothing could be seen but mountains and small villages sporadically placed within them. 

When I arrived in Italy I was met by three Italian students who had volunteered to assist with the program.  We waited about 30 minutes for other girls to arrive from different flights.  After this we moved (very slowly–because most of us had over packed) to an express train.  Once off the train we were to take a cab (which are white in Milan) and give them the address to our apartments.  Two other girls were on the same street as I was.  However, once we gave the cab driver the address he looked at us as if we were crazy.  Cabs are very expensive in Milan and, as it turned out, our apartments were only about a 3 minute walk away.  The driver obviously knew we had absolutely no clue what we were doing and walked us to where are apartments were in sight. 

I had imagined my apartment to be small, yet livable and comparable to a dormitory.  I had imagined I would have to commute 20 minutes to school.  I was wrong.  I was fortunate to be placed in an amazing location in a beautiful apartment.  I am simply around the corner from the Sant� Maria Della Grazie (where The Last Supper is housed), a few steps from Cordona (one of the main Metro stops, where two out of the three main lines cross) and am less than 10 minutes away (walking) from both the main University and the IES Center. 

087.JPG

My apartment has many different attributes from other apartments I have seen (in the United States).  For example, we have an elevator, but it is small and requires you to open and close two sets of doors securely before it will go up or down.  Therefore, if someone fails to shut one of the doors we would have to walk up to the 4th floor (which, in Europe is the 5th floor–floor 1 is 0).  It makes for great exercise, but isn’t too much fun if you are returning from grocery shopping.  Also, the architecture within each room is amazing and each room has a balcony (the living room, the kitchen and all three bedrooms).  Most of the lights to each room are located on the outside (of the room) adjacent to other switches you don’t want to push.  One switch, we realized relatively early, turns on and off the hot water and without this the water is indescribably cold–it took us two days to realize that our hot water was working, we had just turned it off.  Another thing worth mentioning, which is routine and implemented into each apartment and household within Milan is recycling.  It is a must.  Fines are reinforced and everything must be separated (including parts of jars and packaging).  Even when shopping, plastic bags must be purchased if you don’t bring your own. 

Throughout the first week we had many different orientation meetings and events.  We, as a group, went to a welcome dinner (overlooking the Duomo Cathedral), a spa (unlike anything I have seen in the United States) an aperitivo (a very popular and inexpensive light dinner which provides food to you–buffet style–on the bar after a drink is purchased) on a walking tour of Milan’s fashion and financial districts, and a celebratory bonfire outside of the city. 

028.JPG

On our own I feel that settling in and shopping (for necessary and, at times unnecessary items) has been a main theme.  Milan has no Walmart, no CVS, no Office Maxx or anything similar.  Convenience does not seem to be an aspect of life here.  So searching for items that would have been easily acquired in the United States has been difficult to find.  It took me 2 hours to find paper clips, a day to realize where the shampoo was sold and a week to find a hair straightener.  I hope I will become accustomed to these “mom and pop” stores and soon know where each necessity is purchased.   I am also, unfortunately, becoming accustomed to the no eggs, no large Starbucks coffee, no Easy Mac and no bagel diet forced upon me.

026.JPG

These few inconvenient differences, however, in no way take away from Milan.  It’s absolutely beautiful everywhere I have been.  I am beginning to realize why most express how much they love the culture, architecture, food, language and fashion here.  I hope to, in the next few weeks become better at communicating.  My Italian is below par and communicating with a mix of charades and basic words is manageable but far from desirable. 

At this point, Italy has become much more real for me.  It took me until the point to realize and appreciate that I AM ACTUALLY in Milan.  This weekend I am going to Venice and I hope to capture differences there as well as continue to depict Milan throughout my next entry. 

Ciao!

Location: Milan, Italy

One thought on “Ciao!

1. ANDREW THOMAS GABRIEL

You touched on a common theme toward the end of your post when you wrote, “It took me until the point to realize and appreciate that I AM ACTUALLY in Milan.” Most students abroad go through so much during the process of getting there — applications, preparations, goodbyes, flights, meeting new people and adjusting to a new country — that it takes time for reality to sink in. I suggest that you set aside a moment now and again for reflection; just some time to soak it in, to “stop and smell the roses” so to speak. You do not want to return to the U.S. only to realize you took your abroad experience for granted. Enjoy your time abroad and keep writing! I look forward to reading more!