Directed Research

I’m sorry that it’s been so long since my last blog post! Life has been so busy here lately. We have finally started our directed research projects. The next 4 weeks will be completely devoted to data collection, data analysis, paper writing and presentations to the community. There are three projects that we could have chosen from. The environmental policy DR focuses on water usage/shortage and how it affects the politics and policies of the region. Similarly, the wildlife ecology DR focuses on how water availability affects the ecology of riverine habitats and people’s attitudes towards conservation. My DR (wildlife management) will examine the habitat viability of 5 different sanctuaries in the surrounding area. We spend hours everyday walking 10km or more through these sanctuaries counting animals, marking their GPS coordinates and identifying the different habitats. We will eventually input all of this information into GIS (geographic information systems) and determine the extent of habitat overlap for different species and how sustainable the current environment is for all populations. In 3 weeks we will have the opportunity to present our findings to the local community including the officials who manage these sanctuaries. Hopefully, they will listen to our recommendations and we will have helped improve these wildlife sanctuaries!

The work is demanding and the days are long but it is still so much fun. The other day, my group of three students, a local guide and a KWS (Kenya Wildlife Service) ranger were dropped off at our starting point only to find a family of giraffe about 200m to the west, a herd of gazelles about 300m to the east and a herd of over 20 zebra running across the open grasslands with Kilimanjaro, clear as day, in the background. It was the most breathtaking scene I’ve ever witnessed. Yesterday, we came across a family of elephants! We even saw two sets of lion prints but no lion sightings.

Even though I love all the work I’m doing, I’m so glad that today is a non-program day. I think I’m going to visit Laitokitok and walk around the market for a few hours this morning before relaxing at a new lodge bordering Amboseli National Park for the afternoon. It should be a wonderful and relaxing day before another 4 days of data collection. Until next time!

Location: Kimana, Kenya