Living the LIfe

Well, I hate to say it but the semester is halfway done and the work is catching up. I’ve had minimal assignments up until this point and all of a sudden it’s like a rush of papers is flying at me. I also find it especially hard to do any work here at all, because there are just so many things I’d rather be doing. I wrote only a 4 page, 1,000 word essay today and it took me literally 9 hours to complete. Oh well. 

Being halfway done is pretty sad for a few reasons. For one, the weather is starting to get colder. And by colder I mean it’s dropped from about the 80’s to the 60’s/70’s. It’s actually pretty funny to look around on campus and see how the students dress for the weather. Lately it’s been around 60-65 and students are seriously BUNDLED UP. It’s the most bizarre sight. I’m sorry but I’m from the northeast, and a little chilliness isn’t going to stop me from wearing my denim shorts, and I’m definitely not ready to say goodbye to them and hello to jeans, so I’ll get plenty of weird looks from the scarf-wearing students. 
It’s also pretty sad to think that time here is just flying. There’s still a ton of places that I need to see and it seems that for the whole month of May I’ll be traveling (goodbye money in my bank account). The trips I have planned so far are Cairns for Easter Break (fall break) with IES – which is an amazing deal – 5 days of planned trips including a day of snorkeling and diving on the Great Barrier Reef and “jungle surfing” in the Daintree Rainforest, for just $500. Plus a few of us opted to extend our trip for a few more days at our own expense, so that will be pretty fun. I’m also going to Fraser Island, which is a huge sand island where we’ll rent 4WD’s and camp. For our week long break before finals a few friends and I are island hopping around FIJI (VERY excited), and hopefully I’m going to get to book a trip to Melbourne/Tasmania within the week. 
So, even though I’m sadly halfway through, I’m getting the feeling that I’m starting to know Sydney very well and I’m getting antsy to step out and see more of Australia. Don’t get me wrong, Sydney is an amazing city and I’m having a blast (we just went to Luna Park and ran around like Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen a la Our LIps are Sealed – one of the best days ever), but Australia in itself is such an incredible place, and I’m excited to see what else it has in store. 

Location: Sydney, Australia