Getting Sick

This past weekend was a long weekend since most of Taiwan’s schools recognized 清明節 [tomb sweeping day] and 兒童節 [children’s day]. I returned to Tainan to visit during this long holiday and felt a little displaced. 4-5 weeks ago, Tainan was my home and my safe haven, and I missed it terribly my first 2 weeks in Taipei. Though I still love it here in Tainan, it felt a little weird to be back since I had just started to get used to life in Taipei. It felt a little bit like when you’re switching in between a hot tub and a cool pool. The hot tub is nice and comfortable and you feel vastly uncomfortable when you suddenly jump into the cool pool. After a while though, you get used to the soothing cool of the pool but when you return back to the hot tub, it’s almost too hot for you to handle. Now, when I’m just about to get used to the warmth of the hot tub, I have to return to Taipei. But I did realize one thing through all of switching back and forth. Both places have their pros and cons and are different, I love them both.

I have been getting sick pretty regularly since coming to Taipei. Right before I left for Tainan I had a bad cough and headaches and since returning from Tainan, the cough has returned and has gotten worse. I woke myself up last night because I kept coughing. So in consideration of my roommates, today I donned the Face Mask. I have officially become more Taiwanese. Now I am 110% Taiwanese. The Face Mask is very fashionable in Taiwan. Don’t laugh. It’s for reals.

Location: Taipei, Taiwan