Normandy!

This weekend I went to Normandy with 40 other people in my program. IES took students for two full days and one night to Caen, Asnelles and Arromanches.

I arrived in Caen on Friday morning and went right to the Peace Memorial and Museum right in Caen. The museum recounted the history of World War I, World War II and the Cold War. I watched videos on how different war crafts were made and on the lives of various important war heroes. The cold war exhibit included the different aircrafts that the United States used in fighting against the communists. There were also really cool examples of leisure activities, cars and appliances and how they differed between the United States and communists. After the exhibit, Geneva and I walked around the Memorial Garden around the museum. 

After lunch at the museum, I saw a memorial film of the people who died during the Holocaust and World War II in France. Then, I saw a short film about D Day and the Battle of Normandy. These two historical events interest me the most so it was awesome to learn about it while IN Normandy!

We stayed right on Gold Beach, one of the beaches occupied by Germans where the British fleet attacked, in Asnelles, Normandy. We settled in, spent some time on the beautiful beach and then had an amazing dinner: a quiche to start followed by duck and potatoes, then cheese and salad, then an apple tart for desert. After dinner, we had a free night so my friends and I just explored the beach and area more. Then we found the only bar/restaurant on the beach and met some really friendly locals.

The next day, we went to Arromanches and visited the Landing Museum. The museum tour showed us the ports and amazing docks and bridges that the United States and Great Britain designed and built in order to attack and defend themselves and the French during the Battle of Normandy and D Day. The British actually sunk 15 of their own ships in order to keep the waves away from their newly built ports. Over 150 blocks the size of 1000 football fields was built to defend against the Germans.

After the tour, I went exploring more of Gold Beach at Arromanches and took some amazing pictures of the beach and the rest of the exhibit. It was truly amazing to witness the platforms and ports still existing after the battle.

Our last stop was the American cemetery at Omaha Beach. Omaha Beach is considered American land because it was given to the United States as a gift and a place to bury and remember all of those who fought and died on D Day and throughout the Battle of Normandy. The cemetery and beach were two of the most tranquil and beautiful places I have ever seen and it was amazing to personally witness and stand in front of hundreds of American heroes.

Here are some pictures of my time at Normandy…

DSC02230.JPG

redrawing the globe and the different borders after World War I
DSC02233.JPG
English World War II propaganda
DSC02238.JPG
Hydrogen bomb used by the US during the Cold War
DSC02245.JPG
Me at the Memorial Garden
DSC02280.JPG
Sunset at Gold Beach!
197960_1998798369993_1244543400_32605158_1890409_n.jpg
The remains of the British port from the Battle of Normandy at Gold Beach
208126_1998799050010_1244543400_32605167_865633_n.jpg
Just a lovely view from above
DSC02328.JPG
Sitting where British and American soldiers landed in 1944!
DSC02359.JPG
Just a section of the American Cemetery at Omaha Beach
DSC02370.JPG
Carlene and me on Omaha Beach 

Location: Normandy, France

One thought on “Normandy!

1. NIMISHA THAKUR

Hey Malorie

Its great to learn that you are having such a lovely experience and enjoying every bit of it.

Its a lot of fun to read all your blogs. Keep us posted.

Nimisha