CzechMates Day 7: Shopping, Sanoma, Summarizing, and a Star

Day 7 — the last full day in Prague for the group. By this time, we were all pretty tired so I specifically planned a casual morning, letting everyone do what they wanted. Some wanted to shop and so they went off to peruse the offerings. Staci came back with the prized Czech hockey jersey — her quest achieved!. Chenjerai decided to get his puppet/marionette at the airport. Others slept in and got themselves packed up after a leisurely breakfast.

Finally, at 1, we went on our last visit — to Sanoma publishing and were met by Petra Bobekova, a dear friend and former student of mine from my Ostrava days (when I taught at Ostrava University) and now the Marketing Manager of Kvety, the oldest magazine still published in the world (yes, the world — first published in 1834). We were given several formal presentations (including one from the overall content director (a Dutch individual named Frank Hitzert, and a very interesting one from the Tomas Turecek, the manager of the Czech version of National Geographic) about the Czech magazine market and its dynamics and particular cultural nuances, opportunities, and challenges. As before, a 2 hour tour turned into 3 hours but it was very interesting throughout, with — thanks to Petra — an opportunity to tour the offices and speak to the employees personally. There were several ex-pats employed in the company, so it was great to get their insights as well. Finishing the tour, we felt a sense of closure in that we all recognized that the trip — for better and/or worse — was coming to an end. In that light, we decided to go back to the Coolna restaurant as a means of coming full circle, symbolically going back to the place we started as a means of closing the experience out.

The mood was upbeat but also reflective, as we went around the table talking about the experience and what it meant/would mean. At times awkward, but sincere, it was a great way to put a period on the trip. Had no idea it would happen but again, credit it to the great group of people I was with who were clearly on the trip for more than a party and a change of scenery. And for that, I was very thankful.

The students went back to U Akatu to partake in their own last night festivities (having made strategic purchases prior to dinner) and Chenjerai and I went off to meet an old friend of mine, Martin Ledvina, a celebrated contemporary musician, producer, and songwriter. We met when I filled in on the drums with Druha Trava in 2004 and have stayed in touch as he went on from being a side musician to being a 5 time Czech grammy winner with Lenka Dusilova, Aneta Langerova, and others. Chenjerai, being a musician and producer himself, it seemed the two would hit it off. We met up in a smoky czech pub and then moved to a smoky cocktail joint, talking music, genre, and production perspectives and memories. The two eventually agreed to look at the possibility of collaborating and as I write this, it appears they are already at work on some ideas which may have potential. It was a great meeting (as we had not seen each other in over 5 years) and it felt like yesterday without missing a beat.

Chenjerai and I went back to U Akatu to find the students in full revelry (actually, Chenjerai found them and they came to get me to join them). Late into the evening, we talked — moving ever deeper into each others psyches — building bonds and memories that were priceless. I can only sum it up — once again — using the Breakfast Club as a metaphor, as we tried to figure each other out through the clues we’d offer up, often after much-needed badgering by the others. And I can say that although I did more listening than talking, it was great to hear their perspectives and to find out — in sometimes surprising ways — just how complex these people I thought I “knew” were. They were, in a word, a really special group thinking deeply about life and how to live it. It made me proud to know them and be a part of that special moment. And at the right moment, the old professor (“oracle”? 🙂 went to bed, leaving the revelry to continue on into the night which it did. I fell off to sleep, contentedly smiling about just how well this trip had gone.

Location: Prague