Studying in Florence

After surviving midterms week, something dawned on me. When you study abroad, you actually have to study. I know, crazy concept right? But stay with me. Although there are many perks that come with studying abroad, like endless opportunities for travel, it needs to come in moderation. Just because you’re in a different country it doesn’t mean you’re on vacation. I know it may come as a shock, but when studying abroad, time management is key.

For me, time management has always been difficult. Why stay in and study when there is an entire world to see? It sounds tempting, but this experience is teaching me the importance of being extremely disciplined when living in another country. My routine is not the same in Florence as it is at Penn State, or America for that matter. Although it has been stressful balancing assignments and travel, there are some ways to make sure you get everything finished.

I can never get work done in my room. It didn’t work at Penn State, and when you’re living with six other people, it’s hard to be productive. A simple solution: get out of your apartment, and find someplace else to study. It’s just like being at school. If you can’t do work in one place, find another one that works for you. At Penn State that’s the library, Pollock computer lab or one of the many dining commons. In Florence, that’s a library with a view of the Duomo or a café across the Arno.

When living in another country, you have to get creative to find your own routine and a sense of normalcy. Having these alternative study spaces allows me to complete my assignments. When I return to my apartment, I’m not stressed that I haven’t gotten enough done. Also, I find that planning your assignments allows you to maximize your time abroad. You can space out your work without becoming overwhelmed and still having enough time to travel on weekends!IMG_5614IMG_6404

Location: Firenze, Italia

One thought on “Studying in Florence

1. Amy Sauber

Practical ideas, Rachel. Thanks. I will pass them on. Amy Sauber, Professor – Temple University, PA