Oops.. My American is Showing

One of the reasons why my transition to Korea was surprisingly so easy was because I had studied the korean culture for various years before arriving. It made the transition almost flawless. I knew some of the language, the traditions, the mannerisms. Had you thrown me into the middle of say… Morocco, Brazil, or any other culture that I haven’t had the chance to really study yet, I probably would’ve had a much harder time.

That being said, there are still times when Korea throws me off. But I’m all for it, because when you’re uncomfortable that means you’ve stepped out of your comfort zone, and when you’re out of your comfort zone, that’s when you truly begin to grow.

So my last post was all the praises I had to give to this great country, and now here’s all the times I’ve been aboard the struggle bus. (more like driving the struggle bus…)

1. Squat Toilets
WHY. Why why wHY WhY why WHY? A squat toilet, in simplest terms, is a glorified hole in the ground. It boggles my mind. In a country so developed as Korea… why are squat toilets still around? Don’t get me wrong, there are still many normal toilets, but every once in a while you find a squatter (is that even a real term? I just made it a real term). And you find it in random places, like some subway bathrooms or even bathrooms in my class buildings! It makes it feel as though it’s Russian Roulette every time you push open a stall door…

2. No Trash or Water. Anywhere.
Dear Korea, why do you hate trash cans? Why do you hate water fountains? Why do you hate me???? I told my friends that finding a trash can is basically like playing ‘Where’s Waldo?’ One of biggest mysteries of the world is how Korea is so spotless when they HAVE NO TRASH CANS. I generally can walk for a solid 20-30 minutes with trash in my hand before I finally stumble across trash cans… or a water fountain, too.  As a result, if you ever see me around Seoul, it’s almost a guarantee I am dehydrated and my pockets are filled with wrappers.

3. Gym Shoes
I pulled the classic “dumb foreigner” card the first week I was here, and I still get embarrassed when I think about it. It was a struggle and a half for me to get a gym membership, and when I finally managed… I got turned away my first day trying to go. I feel as though it was a sign that I should just take the semester off working out and get fat off korean food, right?!?!
Why did I get turned away, you ask? Because I didn’t have another pair of shoes. Yup, Korea (or at least my university gym) requires you to have outside shoes, and inside gym shoes. Don’t worry friends, I have cheated the system and bring my other pair of outside tennis shoes in a bag so I can change into them as soon as I step inside the gym. (Don’t tell anyone)

4. Pedestrians do NOT have the right of way.
So you know in America how they have cross walks? And side walks? And red lights that people actually pay attention to?  Yeah well Korea doesn’t really care about that. Pedestrians are the last thing on the driver’s mind. You have no idea how many times I’ve had to dodge a motorcyclist who was driving on the sidewalk. Yes, the sidewalk. It’s a dog eat dog world out here, guys. Don’t worry mom and dad – I’ve made it so far!!! The danger is what makes the walk to dinner or shopping that much more exciting!!!

5. CCTV
You’ve all read 1984, right? “Big Brother is watching you.” Well there’s basically that here in Korea, which is something I had NO IDEA about before coming. There are virtually no police anywhere, and Korea is a crazy safe country. How is that possible? Because there are cameras everywhere. All over the streets, in restaurants, in the dorms. They’ll catch you if you do anything wrong. CCTV is watching. They’re always watching.

(If you ever want to see my freak out, just reference CCTV in my presence. It makes me feel like I’m the protagonist of the next big dystopian YA novel)

So those have been the biggest struggs thus far on my journey. And I’m sure there will be more. Bring it on, Korea! I’m ready for them.
(Except CCTV…)