A Few Weeks Ago

Our flight out of Amman, Jordan left a little before one o’clock July 25th. It was a relief to finally get on the plane. It seems the closer you get to departure the more you long to finally be home. Yet, the second I stepped on the plane I realized how much I had missed while I was there. Due to the conflict we weren’t allowed our trip to Jerusalem, which in all likelihood would have been the highlight of the trip, at least for me. Then while we were in Jordan, we never saw more than the hotel. I would have loved to explore the city and of course see Petra. I found myself longing for one more day in Akko, the possibility of one last field trip to another place of which I never heard and one more look from the tel out over the Mediterranean.
I have so many stories to tell about my first adventure out of the country. Every moment felt brand new, in some ways it felt like a dream and in others I was reminded of the harsh realities of the world in which we live.  In any case, I have no regrets in my decision to travel to Israel. More importantly and with a firm stance, I have no regrets about becoming an archaeologist. With my first archaeological experience officially over, I can’t help but look forward to the next one. I would love to come back to Akko next year, at the same time I would love to visit Egypt, Peru, Mexico, Jordan once again, and any other place with a historic and ancient past. I have so much more to learn and I am ready and up to the task. I have accomplished much and I hope that this is only the beginning of an exciting, enlightening and adventurous career as an archaeologist and so much more

Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania