“El tango es uno”

“El tango es uno” translates to “the tango is one” or “there is only one tango,” and it’s one of the most well known sayings about the Argentine dance. Essentially, it means that there is a certain way to dance the tango, a certain feeling, a certain characteristic that sets it apart from all other dances. I finally got a taste of that this past week!

Another common saying is “para bailar bien el tango, hay que aprender a caminar bien,” which translates to “to dance tango well, one has to learn to walk well.” Our instructor kept repeating, “You’re just walking. Don’t think too much.” That explains why I wasn’t the star of the class today… He said that tango is another language, and you have to learn to feel and trust it–no  translating, as he put it.

With that being said, I think I did pretty well for my first try! Tango truly is magnificent both to watch and to dance. It’s an important flavor of the Argentine culture–my favorite next to dulce de leche. After this trip, I’m either going to come back a master bailarina or 20 pounds heavier.

Fingers crossed that the first one comes true 😉

P.S. Sorry that it’s taken me so long to post–the Wifi in my homestay is very spotty, so I haven’t been able to post to my blog. I’m on a mission to find a go-to cafe where I can enjoy a little cup of caf� con leche and access the Internet much faster!IMG_0473.JPG

Location: Caminito in La Boca, Buenos Aires, Argentina--home to the famous colorful buildings and people