Living in the Moment

At home, I don’t go anywhere without my phone. I’m so used to constantly being connected to everyone around me. I consistently check my email or refresh my Twitter, always waiting for a new notification. With my phone, the world is in my hands and I can do anything with the touch of a button. 

It’s different here in London, though. Yes, I’m connected to the Internet where there’s Wifi and yes, I have a UK number, but the whole world is not always in the palm of my hand. It took some getting used to, of course, but it has taught me a valuable lesson: Learn to live in the moment. Without my phone here, I literally cannot keep up with social media at all times of the day. But, I’m realizing that I don’t feel the need to as often as I normally do. What’s important is interacting with everyone around me, exploring new things, and making the most of my time here. That Instagram post or Facebook status can wait. Social media will always be there, but I won’t always be in London.

This week marked the beginning of my class and internship. I don’t think I could have made a better decision choosing to take an art class because I’m getting the opportunity to visit so many museums and galleries. I’m also gaining valuable experience working for a travel guide website and writing feature articles. I’m excited for what’s in store for the next couple of weeks! I also got to explore central London quite a bit this week. Finding cute little stores and restaurants is one of my favorite things, and I’ve found so many near both my house and where I’m taking classes (and Bromley’s not looking too bad to spend my lunch breaks at work).

IMG_2648.jpg

Today was the most eventful day of the week – I even worked up the courage to try tea (I’ve never been a huge fan)! Starting off the day with breakfast at The Breakfast Club, I played it safe and ordered ginger and lemon tea, and surprisingly loved it! 

IMG_2673.JPG

My friends and I made it back to the house after wandering the streets nearby, just in time to go exploring a little more. In search of a flower market that we never found, we ended up at a clothing market. Dinner by the canal was the perfect ending to the day, and made me realize how wonderful this experience has already been and how excited I am for everything that’s going to happen in the coming weeks.

“Unexplored paths lead to undiscovered treasures” and the streets of London have very much proven to be treasures I want to find.

Location: London