Easter in Paris, Part II

On our second day in Paris, my friend and I woke up bright and early to hop on the metro to Versailles. Despite our attempts to arrive there before the crowds, we ended up stuck in a line that wove around and around the entrance to the castle. We wound up waiting for around 2 hours (again!) just to get inside.

IMG_1107.jpg
 A picture to show our excitement at waiting in line
IMG_1114.jpg

Anyway, once we got inside, I was blown away by the decadence and immense size of Versailles. I mean, I had heard about how extravagant it was, but nothing could actually compare to seeing it. Of course, everything was made of marble (again!), but the details were where I found the most beauty in Versailles. Every single item was encrusted with gold somewhere on its surface. It was so over-the-top. It’s no wonder that the building of Versailles crippled France and sent them so far into debt they didn’t have a chance of getting out.
IMG_1147.JPG
However, for me, the best part of Versailles was the gardens, which I kept getting a glimpse of during the castle tour.
IMG_1133.jpg
Before actually going outside to the gardens, however, my friend and I needed some lunch. Within the castle, there was this beautiful little restaurant called Angelina’s. Having come recommended by one of my friend’s mates, we decided to stop there for lunch. It was absolutely delicious, but the best part was dessert. After splitting a delicious �clair, my friend and I decided that if we were ever going to try macaroons, Paris was the place to do so. And man, they did not disappoint. They were absolutely the best dessert to round off our visit to Angelina’s.
IMG_1168.JPG
IMG_1169.JPG
IMG_1170.JPG
IMG_1171.JPG
IMG_1226.JPG
IMG_1229.jpg
After our lunch, my friend and I wandered off to the palace gardens. These gardens are huge, and we knew there was no way to see everything, so we made the logical choice of just wandering around and seeing what we found. My friend lovingly made me a flower crown (hipster alert) from some daisies we picked along the way. There were masses of fountains, of which my friend and I found one that was synchronized to music. The gardens were beautiful, but the highlight for me came at the end of our day at Versailles. My friend and I sat along the bank of one of the ponds and watched the swans swim as visitors went rowing. It was peaceful and a nice break from all the craziness that is Paris.
IMG_4589.jpg

With rain clouds rolling in, my friend and I headed back to our hostel to prepare for our final day in Paris.

Next up: Easter Sunday at the Eiffel Tower

– Emily .xx

Location: Paris, France