Grüße aus Pennsylvania!

Hello and welcome to my GeoBlog!

My name is Ian Button, and I am a rising junior pursuing dual finance and German majors as well as a minor in international business.  Outside of the classroom, I strive to read and write about geopolitics.  Of particular interest are the concepts of “financial power” and the role of finance in hegemony.  

In just 11 days, I will arrive in Berlin’s Tegel Airport for a 10-12 month study abroad experience.  The Institute for the International Education of Students (IES) and Humboldt Universit�t zu Berlin will serve as my home base as I explore the city’s economic, political, and cultural scenes.  I hope to use my time in Berlin as a launching pad for my eventual thesis research.  As I gain exposure to the world of geopolitical risk analysis, global political economy, and strategic studies, I will refine the below assessment of the U.S.-Germany relationship.  

Germany and the United States enjoy a mutually beneficial relationship anchored by strong trade ties. While neighbors such as Canada and Mexico, our first- and third- largest trade partners, are perhaps more vital to the American economy, Germany occupies a distinct and important position that cannot be ignored. Other members of the European Union – particularly France – are often wary of greater economic interdependence with the United States, often obstructing free trade agreements and other political measures.  Germany, however, has voiced its support for full economic integration at a swift yet sustainable pace while also advocating fiscal austerity in the wake of the European financial crises.  Historically speaking, the United States has pursued similar objectives. 

Since the end of World War II, the United States has been heavily involved in German affairs. Beginning with the Marshall Plan, an aid package designed to finance the rebuilding of a then-broken Europe, trade ties between the two nations have taken on a new significance. As one of the world’s largest exporters – competitive even with the likes of China – it is imperative that Germany not jeopardize its relationship with the US, the single largest consumer of goods worldwide. This relationship may not guarantee agreement  on any given issue but it does create an environment rife with trade and economic liberalization, to the benefit of both nations.

This fall will prove interesting in light of the German Bundeswahl, or federal elections. Chancellor Merkel will face rivals from other parties, each of which is jostling for position. If Merkel is reelected, austerity in Europe will reign supreme. If not, Germany may see the rise of a Francois Hollande lookalike. A pivot now, given the tempestuous economic state of Europe, would likely have a dramatic impact on globalization and trade between the EU and the US.

Ian R. Button

Location: Bellefonte, Pennsylvania

4 thoughts on “Grüße aus Pennsylvania!

1. IAN RICHARD BUTTON

Hi Kate! Thank you so much for your comments! This study abroad has been a long time coming, and I have enjoyed every minute of it so far. My host family is great, and I am just a few minutes’ walk from bakeries, chocolate shops, restaurants, and the city’s most famous monuments. I will definitely be blogging all about it!

2. KATHLEEN ANN FOX

Hi, Ian! I’m very excited for your study abroad experience to begin – I know you have been preparing for a long time. Wishing you all the best in Berlin!

Looking forward to reading more about your experience for the entire year 🙂

Kate Fox
    Education Abroad Adviser

3. KATHLEEN ANN FOX

Kate Fox
    Education Abroad Adviser

4. NIMISHA THAKUR

Ian

Wishing you the very best for your semester in Germany.

I am sure you will have insightful things to share about US and German trade relations as you go further in your semester.

Best
    Nimisha