A wee bit of groveling and a traveler’s account of Vienna

As tempting as it may be to whip up a clever reason as to why this blog is so tremendously late (slow internet, the dog ate my hard drive, etc etc.) the truth of the matter is that I live in a country with great internet everywhere and surprisingly well behaved dogs. 

What this really is, you see, is a reflection of my progression here in Denmark. I started out motivated, evident by my near-weekly posts. I read my assignments. I used to go outside, even. Somehow, though, things went downhill. I wasn’t unhappy, mind you, I was in sort of a winter hibernation period. I had little to no motivation, because even if I did read assignments for class we wound up reading them aloud during lectures anyway. Life outside of my room was cold, dark and snowy. Life under my blankets, snuggled up to my heater… that was nice. 

Today, however, the sun is out. I type this entry next to an open window- a few weeks ago this would have been a scene out of “The Day After Tomorrow,” with my fingers dramatically freezing in place as I type my last futile words. Things are looking up, and so I am back. Back to the world, back to the blog. 

To make up for my lack of entries I will post one either every day or every other; recounting the following trips : Vienna, a week spent with my family, Berlin, and Lauterbrunnen, Switzerland. These trips were fantastic, and I feel compelled to tell regale them for future travelers. 

First on deck is Vienna, where I ventured March 15-18. Although it was still quite cold, we were able to catch the Easter Market outside of Schonbrunn Palace, which was amazing. 

EasterMarket.jpg

My roommate and I toured the palace and learned more about the history of the city, which is really pretty cool. We also stumbled across a gentleman in the hallway selling tickets to a show that apparently had opera, Viennese dancing, and an orchestra. Sounded like mauling of a lot of birds with one stone, so to speak, so we bought tickets. Although it was interesting and genuinely hilarious to watch the dancing I have to say I’d actually advise future travelers against this. I don’t regret it, of course, but just ask someone exceedingly elderly or someone who’s recently had hip surgery to dance for you. Same thing without the price tag. (In fairness, though, the singers were great.)

Other things I’d recommend: 

– visit Belvedere Palace

– Eat at Cafe Einstein. It’s a local place where all of the college students hang out- the Shnitzel is AMAZING, they have English menus, and 3 euro glasses of wine. Unbeatable. http://einstein.at/cms/de/

– Stay at Hostel Ruthensteiner. I can’t say enough great things about this place. Our room was unbelievable. http://www.hostelruthensteiner.com/

ourhostel.jpg

Overall Vienna was a great trip. It’s a beautiful city, and if you have time to check it out, well. It waits for you. 

(How can you not quote Billy Joel in this?) 

downthestreetAustria.jpg

Location: Holger Danskes Vej, Frederiksberg