10 Day Trip Through Europe

One of my most important goals coming to Europe was to travel as much as possible.  For the past 10 days, I traveled with my roommates to 4 different countries.  We flew into Berlin, then went to Prague, Budapest, and Krakow.  We learned so much about Nazi and communist occupation through different tours and museums that we went to in each city.  After spending so much time learning about WWII history and the Nazis, we ended our trip in Krakow where we were able to go to Auschwitz.  Seeing that place was probably one of the most worthwhile experiences I have had while abroad, or in my life.  You hear so much about it in history classes, but seeing it first hand made it so much more real to me. 

Here are some pictures from my trip!  I will never forget this experience and I’m glad I’ve taken advantage of this experience to see new and exciting places.

1: Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe.  Berlin, Germany  

P1010513.jpg   

2: Memorial to all the victims of the Berlin Wall.  Many people who tried to escape out of east Berlin were killed by border guards who had a shoot-to-kill policy for anyone who tried to cross over illegally.   P1010557.jpg

3: East Side Gallery.  Artists painted one of the surviving stretches of the east side of the Berlin Wall with all different paintings and quotes.  P1010572.jpg4: Main square in Prague

P1010618.jpg
5: Bone Chapel in Kutna Hora, a town an hour outside of Prague.  This church is decorated with the bones of 40,000 people who died in the plague that swept across Europe.  P1010694.jpg
6: St. Stephan’s Basilica in Budapest, Hungary P1010775.jpg7: Main market square in Krakow, Poland

P1010905.jpg
8. Gates to Auschwitz concentration camp.  Words meaning “Work makes one free”P1010865.jpg

Location: Dublin, Ireland

2 thoughts on “10 Day Trip Through Europe

1. STEPHANIE JEAN LAPPLE

Hey Kelly!

Your recent travels in April looked like they were very memorable and dually emotional. You really traveled to very historic places and monuments in history. I do not know if I would be able to emotionally handle all those, such as the Jewish memorial in Berlin or the concentration camp. I hope you are continuing to have a great semester!

2. Kasumi Hirokawa

Magnificent photos!

I’m glad you got to visit these historic places, especially Auschwitz.
    While they may not necessarily be places to prance around taking comical pictures, but they are important reminders to ALL human beings not to make the same mistakes ever again. I would like to visit someday too.

I’ve never heard of Bone Chapel but it seems really cool (more like chilling, haha). It looks eerie but very beautiful in the photo.

Do you have plans to go elsewhere?