Culture Shock May Be Killing Me

If you are studying abroad you have probably heard that you will get something called culture shock. Basically, you are told you will go through a few stages that most people feel when they travel and live in a different country. I completely believe they are happening to me. The first stage is called the honeymoon stage. This means you will be entirely delighted about studying and living in a new country. Everything around you is interesting and new! Believe me, there is definitely a lot to look forward to in a semester studying in Europe. “The city is beautiful, the people are beautiful, and I can’t believe I am going to live in Europe for six months!”

The stage after this is not as pleasant however. After falling in love with the new place you are in for about a week, then comes the realization that you are in a very different place, very far from home. My advice to give you when you realize this; STAY CALM! Take a deep breath, rant about it a little bit if you must, and then realize that this is only for a few months. You just have to get used to it. Symptoms of this stage include: a new fierce sense of nationality (“AMERICA! Oh you mean the best thing that ever happened to the world”), followed by a new found hatred for all things different in your new country (“What do you mean you can’t buy groceries in bulk?!?”), which eventually turns into a new hatred for everything around you (“My roommates suck, I hate not having any friends, I am always hungry, it feels as cold as Alaska and the school I’m going to is the worst run organization I have ever been to in my life”). Sound familiar? Because it is probably happening to you too… 
Yes, it is going to suck for a while, but I am told it will all pass. I have faith. And it helps that I bought myself a very large American size chocolate bar and had a very large American Style pizza for dinner (literally that was the title of the pizza box). I have said and felt everyone of the quotes I have stated, but looking back on them I realize how incredibly stupid they sound. So my advice to you is stop stressing out and keep yourself busy so you don’t have time to think about how much you miss home. Hang in there because things will change for you too. 
Until next time,
Rachel 

Location: Copenhagen

6 thoughts on “Culture Shock May Be Killing Me

1. EMMA CAROLINE DECKER

I completely understand. I’m currently post-honeymoon phase and dealing with a strong pro-american patriotism that I didn’t really think I was capable of. I’ve downloaded Wagon Wheel, Country Roads, and some random Miranda Lambert and Dixie Chicks (I never listen to country. ever). I’ve subscribed to like every NPR podcast because I can’t find a decent english paper here, I am willing to listen to anyones voice speak to me in english for forty minutes a day, and I am sick of only understanding 1/3 of what goes on here. I read the headline regarding the Pope’s retirement as something horribly different, and I was incredibly confused as I watched an entire forty minute news program regarding the state of health-care in the US before I realized that it was a rerun from a show in 1993. Hopefully I get over it soon…I feel like I’m wasting so much of my time here missing home, but as soon as I get home I’m just going to wish I was back here again!

2. Kasumi Hirokawa

I admit to eating way more Chinese food than I expected since arriving in UK. I don’t know whether that is because London has more decent Chinese eateries than State College (duh) or I miss home too much. I’d say both.

And you’re right–just hang on. It’s not going to be forever. You might end up missing your times in Europe when you get back! You never know!!
    As an international student, I suffer from a case of reverse homesick when I am home. I miss my American friends terribly and often find myself trying to do things a bit more “American way.”

But I guess it’s a good sign that you do miss something. It means you love your home, you adore your country! There’s nothing wrong with that! Just don’t let it turn into hate.

Cheers,
    Kasumi

3. JASON ALEXANDER KLANDERMAN

Despite the initial culture shock, you definitely have the right attitude!
    Another thing you might want to try is looking at events that the US embassy / other related clubs set up.
    It is also a good way to meet people (and Americans).
    Hang in there!

Jason

4. STEPHANIE JEAN LAPPLE

Hey Rachel!!

Thank you for blogging what all of us are thinking, I completely agree. When we were in orientation they actually showed us a line graph of culture shock… and your patterns and completely normal and aligned with everyone else. I feel for you and am here for you missing small conveniences in the US. What motivates me is remembering how jealous everyone is of you at home and how lucky you are to have this opportunity! Mutually, all of us Penn Staters are here for each othere and are sharing in the similar bond. It’s February already!! Buy yourself some nice Valentine’s Day candy and bring it all in 🙂 Cheers from Galway! – Steph 🙂

5. ANDREW THOMAS GABRIEL

When I was abroad I noticed that I would get cravings for McDonald’s … which was bizarre to me because I don’t really eat at McD’s in the U.S. I found that several of my friends were experiencing the same thing; it’s a craving for the familiar, and it can come in many strange and unexpected forms. Most people go through swings, so don’t be surprised if you experience these feelings (though probably not as intense) later in the semester. But you know how to handle it now so you’ll be fine!

6. KELLY J SUTER

I know what you mean, Rachel! They told us all about these stages at orientation and they basically hit the nail on the head. It’s so easy to get frustrated with the little things and they way things are done here. But once you let go and give yourself the chance to adjust it’s not so bad : ) And the pizza helps as well haha It was Subway in my case….