1 Month in Dublin : )

Today marks one month into my study abroad experience in Dublin, Ireland! I feel like this place has become like home already.  I finally am accustomed to the city for the most part and haven’t gotten lost in a while (knock on wood!).  We’ve seen a lot of the important sights and done so much here, but there is also a lot I really want to get to.  I’ve also learned little things like when to cross the street..It sounds silly, but Dublin drivers can be ruthless and if you decide to try to walk out into the crosswalk like a local you better know what you’re doing and have a quick reaction time!

I also am getting used to my classes.  It can be a little overwhelming at times because there isn’t much structure to the classes.  You have to be a very independent student and get your reading done because even though there aren’t a lot of assignments, you can be totally lost without reading for class.  We have found a few cafes and pubs that we really like.  I’ve also joined clubs at school like the international society and the rock climbing club! 

It’s difficult to realize that 1/5 of my study abroad experience is already over!  I’m definitely motivated to make the most of it just as I did for the first month.  I have a few trips booked which I’m very excited about!  This weekend we’re headed to London!

Until next time…Cheers!

Location: Dublin, Ireland

4 thoughts on “1 Month in Dublin : )

1. Sabrina Peterman

I’m happy to see that it only took you a month to get completely acclimated, because I am only in France for two months. I have been freaking out about how long it is going to take me to get into the swing of things. (Hopefully it doesn’t take long!)

2. Michael Joseph Mattia

Hi Kelly. This post reminds me of my short three-day stay in Ireland in 2008, when my cab driver decided to start reading the sports section in the middle of our trip. Yes, those Irish drivers are certainly a different sort. Then again, here in Russia, the drivers are particularly aggressive as well, and ‘passing auto inspection’ is an absolute joke, so you always see a clunker roaring down the road with a missing headlight and all that.

Though my programme only started a week ago, I know completely what you mean about the whole thing flying by – I too am afraid that suddenly, I’m going to blink and the whole thing will be over. Here’s to making the most of the remainder of the trip.

3. ROBERT JOSEPH RITSON JR

My brother did an exchange program to Limerick in high school. The kids from the exchange were so much fun. Tanzanian drivers are just as bad if not worse than Irish drivers. They lean on thier horn the whole time and don’t stop for anything!! The cars here are also very poorly maintained which doesnt help matters much. Hope you continue to have a blast!

4. STEPHANIE JEAN LAPPLE

Hey Kelly!!! Happy 1 month studying abroad!!! I am completely with you on that as I cannot believe I have been in Galway for the same amount of time. Don’t stress, I feel exaclty the same way you do. Adjusting to classes has been overwhelming because they seem extremely unorganized…and then you feel like you have all this outside reading and work to do. I know that I feel like somedays I have nothing to do and other days I feel completely overwhelmed. Just remember that this experience is not all about school and that being here is just as important. It sounds like you are getting involved and making the most out of your experience. I also completely agree about the massive amounts of reading before classes. I almost hate to say that I miss that exams and structure of Penn State. We will be ok though!!!! Keep in touch… Cheers from Galway!!