City of Magic: Prague

Whilst some students jet off what seems like every weekend for a new exciting destination, I have had to budget my trips more carefully. Knowing that funds do not extend to trips every weekend, I made a list of my top 5 cities/regions to visit in Europe (not before brainstorming every place I’ve ever thought of, even vaguely, of visiting…it was difficult to narrow it down from there though).

Straightaway I knew Prague was number one. Right now the rest of the list stands at (in descending order): Budapest, Vienna, Ireland and the Mosel River area (for the Riesling!). Luckily some friends are planning a (budget friendly) trip to Budapest in December, so that’s taken care of, but for the most part I travel alone, which puts a damper on how free I feel to just hop aboard a trip to some far away city.

However, back to the point, Prague was awesome! Alone, with a group, with a partner–it’s all good. Beautiful buildings, great centuries old architecture, so many sights to see, friendly people and safe/comfortable night life. All in all, everything I hoped it would be. Even traveling alone I felt safe at all times. Granted, I wasn’t stupid. Vigilance and awareness are important, but overall I felt safer in Prague than I do sometimes at night in Maastricht–which really isn’t that big of a town. I took the night train–big mistake. Who ever thought night trains were for sleeping?–silly me, not anymore. Now I know better. Night trains are for suckers. I’ll fly next time.

I arrived at Praha hlavní nádrazî (Prague Main Train Station) by 10 am Friday, tired and irritable, but so happy to be in my favorite city. The walk to my apartment (so much cuter and homier than a cheap hotel) was only 20-25 minutes. Arrived to find my apartment was pretty much perfectly located (sometimes maps can only tell you so much when you have no experience or physical knowledge of an area), merely a block from the Vltava River and maybe three from Charles Bridge, less than 10 minutes to Old Town and the Astronomical Clock and within easy walking distance of just about everything else.

Day One

IMG_0234.jpgThe (nice) train to Köln/Cologne

After that came the very-much-not-so-nice-night-train

IMG_0384.JPGJust try sleeping on that!

Thumbnail image for IMG_0397.JPGApartment in Ostrovni (Street)…piano included

IMG_0399.jpgRoom with a view

The River Vltava

The first day out I just wandered around, trying to get my bearings. I walked up to the river and crossed the first bridge I came to. This sky is a warning (I promptly ignored) telling me I should have brought my umbrella. Just across the river were some lovely Art Nouveau houses, encrusted with the ubiquitous fig leaf. The details on buildings here–and just about everything else–is amazing. Benches with dragons/serpents at legs, wonderfully detailed, embossed lamp posts, mosaic granite sidewalks, and buildings dripping with graceful carvings and figures.

IMG_0421.JPGIMG_0404.JPG
National Theatre

IMG_0412.JPGIMG_0418.JPG

IMG_0425.jpgIMG_0427.JPGIMG_0429.JPGIMG_0430.JPGIMG_0241.JPGThen it was time for some food. Wandering makes me hungry. I found this cute little creperie down one of the little alleyways between buildings that opened up into a pretty little cobble-stoned courtyard. I had a delicious turkey, bacon and mushroom crepe and then for desert a wonderful homemade apple strudel with vanilla sauce. Yum! With a cappuccino to top me up, I was ready for more.
IMG_0434.JPGPrague at night is even more beautiful than during the daylight…as if this city could get any more wondrous.  
<!– /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:Arial; panose-1:2 11 6 4 2 2 2 2 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-536859905 -1073711037 9 0 511 0;} @font-face {font-family:"MS 明朝"; mso-font-charset:78; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:1 134676480 16 0 131072 0;} @font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:3 0 0 0 1 0;} @font-face {font-family:Cambria; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-536870145 1073743103 0 0 415 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"MS 明朝"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Cambria; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"MS 明朝"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Cambria; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} @page WordSection1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.WordSection1 {page:WordSectz

IMG_0471.jpg
IMG_0473.jpg
IMG_0477.jpg
IMG_0432.jpg
IMG_0463.jpg
After wandering around a bit more, getting lost somewhere between Old Town and New Town, I was ready for bed. The next day was the best, in terms of taking pictures, so clear and sunny! I took a guided tour to a) keep me motivated and going out and b) to really orientate myself to the sights in Prague. It was great fun, and I would highly recommend it. I loved the way our Czech guide was like: “oh, this part of the bridge was build in the 9th century” or “New Town was founded in the 14th century”. New Town, only 700 years old! I love it.
Most of these pictures are from Prague Castle, which is really a large complex full of different buildings, including St. Vitus Cathedral (which was closed to visitors because they were–I think–sainting someone?).

Day Two

IMG_0483.JPGIMG_0484.jpg

IMG_0498.jpg
IMG_0511.jpg
IMG_0521.jpg
IMG_0526.jpg
Included was an hour boat tour along the Vltava. Saw a lovely perspective; I’d highly recommend it!
Here’s a little video of this cute canal area that has, apparently, doubled for Venice in several popular movies.

IMG_0543.JPGIMG_0259.jpg

IMG_0267.jpg
Then is was off to Old Town and the Clock.
IMG_0544.jpgIMG_0545.jpg

After the tour ended I continued my wanderings and explored a good bit of the right bank of the city (non-Prague castle side). The next day was sadly my last in the beautiful city of a thousand spires, but I like to think I made the most of it.

In the early morning (quite a feat for me) I walked up this huge park called Petrín Hill. It is a gorgeous nature park that includes a miniature Eiffel Tower, loads of orchards near the castle side, paved walking/biking/horseback riding paths, and the remains of the original fortified wall (Prague began as a fortified city). As a lover of fall and fall foliage, I had to restrain myself from taking too many pictures of just trees. I’ll try to keep it brief here, too. Whilst the hike up and down was exhausting and rather straining, the views were priceless.

Day Three

IMG_0581.JPGSTA_0591.JPG

IMG_0619.JPGSTC_0593.JPG
IMG_0607.jpg
I swung all the way around Petrín Hill and ended up by the Castle complex. During our tour the day before we had briefly popped into the Wallenstein Gardens. Loving gardens as I do, I knew I wanted to visit it more in depth before I left.
IMG_0629.JPGIMG_0633.JPG
Afterwards I simply continued my wanderings…a bit in the Jewish Quarter, some more time in the lovely Old Town and other random places. The following are a snapshot of the rest of the day.
IMG_0657.JPGIMG_0663.JPG
IMG_0300.jpg
IMG_0331.jpgIMG_0297.jpg
IMG_0317.jpg

Prague was beautiful and moving. There was such a lovely, warm atmosphere, I tell everyone to go there. I really loved how the musicians playing on the street weren’t pushy, they just played the loveliest accordion and violin and other instruments so well. It doesn’t hurt that I absolutely love the accordion. Why did it never catch on in the States? It’s really a shame. The mime/statue street performers were good and multitudinous…even if they creep me out a bit. The streets were crowded but I never felt rudely jostled or otherwise put out. I felt my heart lift (sorry, sounds so cheesy, I know, but it’s true) as soon as I started wandering around Prague. It truly is the city of magic.

Location: Prague, Czech Republic, Maastricht, the Netherlands

6 thoughts on “City of Magic: Prague

1. SHELBIE LEE MCCURDY

Wow! Prague is absolutely beautiful! You are so lucky! I hope I make it there one day! Enjoy your stay!

2. ANDREW THOMAS GABRIEL

Hello! I just wanted to let everyone know that I fixed the three videos that Amy took in Prague. Check them out 🙂

3. Chad Michael Hainley

The pictures were absolutely incredible! The architecture of the city looks and sounds amazing and I’m sure holds a lot of history which is connected with the city. Glad you had an amazing trip and look forward t reading about your other travels!

4. Amy Leigh Kautz

Literally hours! My roommate skyped her boyfriend and then her parents, and finished the remaining half of her 10 page paper. The must be a better way! I just can’t figure it out 🙁

5. ALLISON MICHELLE JAFFE

I totally sympathize with your budget-oriented planning – I don’t know how people do it sometimes! I made a checklist at the beginning of the semester too! While of course I have certainly gone elsewhere, it’s a nice little reference point when the options get overwhelming. Not to mention, it’s so satisfying to finally go to the places. Your post just adds to excellent things I have heard about Prague! I cannot wait to travel Europe. Also, I can’t help but ask…how did you upload all those pictures? Did it take hours? I struggle to upload more than one!