The Proud Highway: Saga of a Desperate Northern Gentleman

Yes, the title is a complete rip-off of Hunter S. Thompson’s, “The Proud Highway: Saga of a Desperate Southern Gentleman”. 

The book chronicles Hunter S. Thompson’s early correspondence with family, friends, and loved ones along his journey in life, and therefore I found a similar resemblance to my recent conversations with those I cherish in my life.  Life takes you on a strange journey, Thompson never imagined himself in the military while he was in high school and I never imagined myself to be living halfway around the world for a few months of my life while I was in high school.  Yet, no matter where you go in life you always remember those you hold dear to you and those you love: so with that said I dedicate one of my final posts to those who I love, both my Penn State family and my family back home whom are reading this. 

This will be one of my final posts due to a massive trip I have planned, though I am currently done with school (apologies for this mentioning to all of those currently still pursing their studies) so I wish I could use the time to write more.  The trip currently is as followed: 

Day 1: 1) Crocodile River tour; 2) Lichfield National Park; 3) Stay in Katherine
Day 2: 1) Kayak @ Katherine Gorge; 2) Visit Daly Waters Pub; 3) Stay at Tennant Creek
Day 3: 1) Drive to Devil’s Marbles; 2) Drive to Alice Springs; 3) Visit Royal Flying Doctor Service
Days 4 – 6: Major Uluru stops
Day 7: 1) Drive to Coober Pedy; 2) Sleep in Underground City
Day 8: 1) Flinders Ranges, Sleep in Port Augusta
Day 9: 1) Barossa (wine) Valley; 2) Visit Adelaide
Day 10: 1) Leave early and go to Grampians National Park
Day 11: 1) Finish Great Ocean Road = 12 apostles, Arc George, etc; 2) Get to Melbourne @ 5pm on the 7th.

An arduous journey driving across Australia, but an experience which can not be lived by many; the whole thing tends to make my eyes water with the sudden eruption of ambition which is included in this trip.  Perhaps, this trip will even further the cleansing of my soul of the “good and simple life” idea.

If there is one thing this trip has taught me it is that I don’t want to pass through life like a smooth plane ride.  I don’t want to go with the smooth skin and the calm brow.

For every moment someone hated their job, cursed their wife and sold themselves to a dream that they didn’t even conceive.  For the times their soul screamed yes and they said no. For all of that.  For their self-torture, I hope to remain on the road doing what I love and seeing places which I used to only dream about.

With this either being my final or one of my final entries I will also address anyone who is contemplating the idea of studying abroad at this time: I beg you to travel.  If you don’t have a passport, get one.  Take a summer, get a backpack and go to Delhi, go to Saigon, go to Bangkok, go to Kenya, go wherever you have a desire to go.  Have your mind blown.  Eat interesting food.  Dig some interesting people.  Have an adventure.  See your country differently, see your president differently; no matter who it is.  You’re going to get a sense of what globalization looks like.  And so there are lessons that you can’t get out of a book that are waiting for you at the other end of that flight.  So go.

As I stole the name of this entry from Thompson, I find it only necessary to borrow from him again when I ask, “Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed on shore and merely existed?”

Wheels and wings, the ride is everything.

Location: Coogee Beach, Australia

3 thoughts on “The Proud Highway: Saga of a Desperate Northern Gentleman

1. Chad Michael Hainley

Amy, thanks for your comment! Thompson is absolutely incredible and definitely inspires you when you’re traveling around the world. It definitely is all about the journey, and I hope yours keeps going well!

Allison, thank you for the kind words and I have enjoyed reading your posts as well! I’m sure you’ll do well on your finals and wish you luck on them either way. I do hope this trip is incredible, the drive itself should be a task which includes sites and adventure (not to mention I haven’t driven in a long while so being behind the wheel is now strangely exciting again). Hope you continue to see all of New Zealand and keep seeing all which you want to see!

2. ALLISON MICHELLE JAFFE

I have really enjoyed reading your posts. Because we started around the same time and are in the same part of the world, I feel like I’ve really been able to sympathize. I am jealous your finals are over (mine take place over the next two weeks). But, I’m excited to hear about your huge trip which I am sure will be nothing short of epic. I love and agree with your discussion of cherishing conversations with/and loved ones and the concluding quote. Studying abroad really does remind you that staying on the shore is NOT the way to live.

3. Amy Leigh Kautz

Great post! I have a friend that sounds alot like you (he quotes Thompson often 🙂 Best of luck on your Australian walkabout. It’s all about the journey, isn’t it.