Anticipation

The reality that I am finally studying abroad hit just a few days ago at the realization that I have one month until departure. I am both excited and nervous for the upcoming semester I will spend in Auckland, New Zealand at University of Auckland.

Coming into college, I did not  know what I wanted to study but knew, at some point, I wanted to go abroad. I wanted to travel here and there but I also wanted that true experience in another country for an entire semester. At last, the time for this opportunity has come. As a recently declared industrial engineering major with a strict curriculum, I feared the possibility to study abroad would no longer be an option for me. However, I decided to take some initiative in researching and communicating with both abroad and engineering faculty at Penn State. I am fortunate I did because in the process I found out Penn State has an exchange program with Auckland where I will be able to take 3 engineering courses towards my major. Additionally, I have met some great faculty both in the abroad and IE departments who have helped me immensely in making this experience possible.

I have fallen in love with Penn State- the town, the campus, my friends, and the crew team. These things make it incredibly difficult to leave for a semester, but nevertheless, I am excited for this new adventure. I am nervous about classes, being in a city, and arriving partway through their school year, but am looking forward meeting new people, learning as much in and out of class, and traveling to see the beautiful sights that New Zealand is known for.

Location: Auckland, New Zealand