I’m illiterate, but that’s okay!

Language learning is more of a lifestyle than an ultimate destination. You can set up goals, but there is no end to this task. With that in mind, I tend to ignore most of what I don’t know and try to just work with what I got, but sometimes it is painfully obvious where I stand on the road to fluency: not that far from where I started. 
Learning a language with a different writing system is pretty serious business. Especially when your target language has three different writing systems. I mastered two since they are as simple as the alphabet. It’s the Chinese character based (Kanji) system that is the killer and it makes up a large majority of writing. Essentially, I know about 400. To read a newspaper, however, you should know about 1,945. 
This doesn’t mean I don’t read at all. I have a few comics with kanji in them and on top of the kanji, there is furigana. For those who don’t know, furigana is the kanji reading using the other two alphabets. Japanese kids face the same problem I do up until a point, so it’s pretty normal to come across accessible materials. 
Another way to alleviate the Kanji issue is watching television with closed captions on. At first, it looks like nonsense, especially since I can’t understanding everything being said. But after a while, watching the same shows, things start getting familiar to my eyes and ears. Unfortunately this doesn’t solve the problem that is producing the characters on paper for myself, but I think recognition is the most important skill at this point. 
This would probably work for other languages too. Good reading and listening practice, so try it out! 

Location: minami-ku, nagoya-shi, aichi-ken, Japan