Patient anticipation, up ’til now I’ve been hurry up and waiting

I’ve heard that life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

In exactly one week, I will sitting on a plane (where I will be inevitably uncomfortable).  Hopefully I will be sleeping, but probably not.  Knowing myself, I will most likely be sitting up, hyped up on tea and coffee, with a mind swirling with thoughts of a new life in a new place with new faces and new adventures. London is truly calling me now!  It’s hard to fathom that I’m leaving my entire world behind for a place that is so different from where I come from. I’ve spent plenty of time in cities, but growing up in a suburb of Philadelphia really is no comparison to the life I will be leading for the next five months- smack dab in the middle of vibrant central London. I’m enthralled by the prospect of what is to come, the excitement of the unknown, and the fantasies of all of the adventures that lie ahead… but at the same time I’m having a hard time coming to terms with the fact that I won’t see some of the people I love most for five months. Sure, five months really isn’t too long, and I’m sure I’ll meet people abroad that will ease the homesickness when it creeps up on me (and it unavoidably will creep up on me), but the thought of leaving my family and friends is hard just the same. I’ve wanted to study abroad in London for years- in fact, I’ve been set on this dream since I was only 14 years old, and I know I’d deeply regret it if I didn’t push myself to take the leap and go. So with that thought, I guess the only thing left for me to do is really get everything together- the clothes and shoes (packing is undoubtedly going to be quite the challenge…), the passport and tickets and important documents, and the final goodbyes.

Location: Abington, Pennsylvania