Trip to Barcelona

Hi everyone!

For those of you who don’t know, I’ve been starting to following European soccer more and more over the past few years, with FC Barcelona (Spain – La Liga) and Arsenal (England – Premier League) being my two favorite teams.  Obviously being in Spain these past couple months has influenced things a bit and FC Barcelona is now the clear favorite.  I had been talking with other people in my program for a while about seeing a Barcelona soccer game, and last weekend we finally made it happen – well at least one other guy and I went.  We booked train tickets and a cheap hotel room, bought jerseys, and were ready to go.

I have already been to Barcelona before, and seen most of the sights there, but the guy who came with me hadn’t.  As we were only going for one night, we had limited time.  I showed him to Parc G�ell and La Sagrada Familia, the famous park and cathedral designed by Antoni Gaudi.  The park hadn’t changed much since the last time I saw it, but there was a fire-twirler performing that was pretty cool.  As the cathedral has been under construction since it began (and still isn’t done), there was a lot more done that was neat to see.

DSC01476.JPG

309816_2086426639944_1223490138_31839665_508422037_n.jpg
DSC01487.JPG
DSC01531.JPG
DSC01537.JPG
But the more important part of our visit was obviously the Bar�a (FC Barcelona’s local name) game.  Their stadium, Camp Nou, holds almost 100,000 people, so going there reminded me of going to a PSU football game.  We had pretty decent seats, and the stadium was really cool.  The atmosphere during the game was similar to a Penn State game too, in that everyone had a whole bunch of chants that they all knew, a team anthem, screamed/swore at the ref and other team, and were really into the game the whole time.  Unfortunately, the game itself wasn’t all that great.  Barcelona (the best team in the Spanish league) was playing Sevilla (the third/fourth best team), and Sevilla was happy just tying Barcelona.  So Sevilla played super-defensively the whole time and the game ended a 0-0 tie.  There was even a fight at the very end, as Bar�a was frustrated at how Sevilla had played, and Sevilla was fed up with Bar�a controlling the whole game.  Two Sevilla players got thrown out of the game, but there wasn’t enough time left for Bar�a to score.  Despite the result of the game itself, we both had a lot of fun (though it left me wanting to see another game live in which Bar�a actually scores).

DSC01500.JPGDSC01510.JPG

DSC01499.JPG
DSC01518.JPG
DSC01525.JPG
^Messi penalty kick after the fight…which he missed because the jerk from Sevilla was messing with him.

So that’s about all we did in Barcelona.  We had 5 hour train rides to/from, during which they played us movies and I studied for the exams I had the next week.  All in all, it was a good weekend. 

I hope all is well with everyone who’s following my blog…I’m currently putting off writing an essay for my Spanish class.  Until next time!

Location: Alicante, Spain