2 days to go, and still not packed…

Yesterday was my last day of work for the summer, and I think it’s started to set in today that I’m leaving in 2 days!

A lot of people have asked me if I’m packed, and the unfortunate answer to that is a big no. If you’ve never tried to pack for a year in one suitcase, then you can only imagine how hard it is! My room currently looks as if a tornado hit it, and I’m a bit overwhelmed about that right now. Hopefully a good night’s sleepwill help me figure out how I’m going to do this, as I really need to tackle it in the morning. If I wait too much longer, I think my mom may start to pack for me! She’s not too thrilled about my lack of packed bags right now 🙂

Beyond that, there’s not a whole lot going on. We had a nice family day today, and I think it’s going to be difficult not seeing them for so long. Granted when I’m at PSU I don’t see them much either, but it’s not quite the same when you’re on the other side of the ocean…

I’ve also spent quite a bit of time on Facebook in the past weeks/months trying to find others that will be living in my block/flat, with limited success.

Interesting note that I found out a few weeks ago: I got my housing confirmation in July, and was kind of surprised at how few people were on looking for who they’d be living with. I figured that most people just weren’t in the school mindset yet, but I found out that in fact, most people didn’t find out that they actually were going to Leeds until 19th August when A-level results came out. The following is my understanding of the system/situation, in which I take no responsibility for mistakes!

A-levels are kind of like their overall final exam for a subject at the end of what would be an American senior year. The brief explanation I got from a future blockmate was that they apply to uni, but get either an unconditional (doesn’t matter the A-level scores) or a conditional (acceptance dependent on A-level scores) offer. So the people who either took a gap year or got an unconditional offer knew about their accommodation far before those who got a conditional offer (which seems like the vast majority). I find this very interesting, because that essentially means that all these students didn’t know if they were actually going to be going to Leeds in September until the middle of August!! Compared to in the US where we apply to university from about September-January, usually get acceptances from December-March, and have to make a final decision by 1st May! What a huge difference. I can’t imagine not knowing until a month before you go.

A few days ago, it really didn’t seem like I had too many big things to do before I left, but now all the little things are starting to pop up, and though I’ve tried to make a list to sort them out, I’m starting to think that the next two days are going to be a bit haphazard mess of lots of little things.

‘Tis bedtime now, and I can’t really think of anything else pressing to write about at the moment, but I think I’ll aim to write again during my layover in Boston on Thursday!

Location: Allison Park, PA