The Flight

If you are planning on traveling to New Zealand, you probably already know that you are in for a long trip. Nevertheless, I feel it necessary to stress the following point:

New Zealand is far away. Very far away.

Do not let this hurdle deter you, though. With adequate preparation and a little luck, it can actually be quite fun. While I cannot help you in the luck department, I can do my best to prepare you for the journey ahead.

My trip started in Philadelphia, and went a little something like this:

Philadelphia ———6 hour flight ———-> Los Angeles (2.5 hour layover) —————–12.5 hour flight———–> Auckland (2 hour layover) ———1 hour flight————> Wellington.

All totaled, it took over a day to get from my bedroom to my dorm room. My flight times were structured in a way that would minimize jet lag: I left in the early evening, taking a red-eye to Auckland and catching a few hours of sleep in between on demand films, and touching down in Wellington about halfway through my day. Granted, it’s still tough to get past 8pm the first day, but it’s better than getting in at 11pm with a full night’s rest.

The first, and possibly most important thing to know about traveling to New Zealand (or any faraway place), is that, unless you possess some sort of portable fission reactor, your electronic devices will die long before you reach your destination. There are two main reasons for this:

1. With the recent explosion of mobile energy-hogs, the airlines and airports have unfortunately realized that having a free power outlet within 20 feet of any given spot is not very good for business.
2. There is absolutely nothing to do on the plane. And if you think you can read for 13 hours straight, you’re dead wrong.

If you’re not in first class, don’t expect to get any juice for your laptop, even if the entire plane is WiFi-enabled (only $12.95 to tweet from 35,000 feet). During my layover in Los Angeles, I noticed several Samsung brand mobile charging stations, which I foolishly thought was a neat idea at first. Upon closer observation, I realized that the four outlets at each station (which had no seats and a very small counter where one can stand guard over their precious devices) were not nearly enough to cover the power needs of the dozens of jacked-in nerds that wasted all of their battery life playing Angry Birds. I myself lost my entire charge watching a movie (or at least half of one; Toshiba batteries supposedly has some sort of grudge against Tom Cruise and his secret agent antics), and had to join the other outlet vultures who were circling around the stations, waiting for a spot.

This need for energy was not as relevant on the flight to Auckland, as Qantas Airlines generously provides TVs in the headrest in front of you. All programs are free to watch, and are of impressive variety and quality. The meals are also surprisingly delicious, and everything is included in the ticket price. Even the beer was free.

I was also lucky enough (and, in some ways, unlucky enough) in my seating arrangements. On the Los Angeles flight, I was seated in an exit row. This allowed for more leg room, but denied me a tray table or proper window to look out of. To Auckland, I was given an aisle seat in the middle section, next to an empty seat in an otherwise loaded jumbo jet. The person on the other side of the free seat and I worked out an arrangement to share the seat for sleeping, storage, etc., which made the flight much more bearable. Perhaps the most disappointing point of the voyage was the flight from Auckland to Wellington. I was given another aisle seat, and was deprived the spectacular view that the window allows. If you get a chance, definitely take a window seat for that flight.

Taranaki.jpg
A view of Mt. Taranaki from the flight from Auckland to Wellington. This is the only picture I took while on the plane, as I did not want to bug the person sitting in the window seat to keep photographing the landscape for me. According to Maori mythology, Taranaki fled after being wounded in a battle with Tongariro, another mountain in the middle of the island. The eastern slope is considered a premier skiing spot in the area, and trampers (hikers) enjoy the moderately difficult day-long trip up-and-back, despite the unpredictable weather patterns.

When entering New Zealand, keep in mind the severity of the native customs regulations. Any outside food or drink must be declared upon entry or discarded in designated bins.

To sum up, here are some tips to get you through the trip to Wellington:

1. Conserve your electrical (and physical) energy.
2. A pillow is not essential. On the flight to Auckland, each passenger is provided with a blanket, pillow, toothbrush/toothpaste, and a seat comfortable enough to allow a decent night’s sleep.
3. Pack light, both for your carry-on and checked bags. US Airways did not allow any bags over 50 lbs, and forced the family in front of me to remove 3 lbs from their suitcase. Also, my carry-on laptop bag, when stuffed full of things I rarely used on the trip there, was a nightmare to carry around the terminals. When combined with my luggage (I had to transfer my bags in Auckland) and a 13 hour period of limited mobility, it resulted in being extremely sore the next day.
4. Get an aisle seat for convenience on the red-eye, and a window seat if you take a domestic flight to Wellington. Also, if you’re willing, an exit seat will provide some much-appreciated space.

Good luck, and safe travels! 

Location: Wellington, New Zealand