A week in the middle of Europe!

P1000073.JPGHello Everyone!

Last time I left you I had just arrived here in Maastricht. A lot has changed since then, the jet lag has finally worn off and I’ve gotten to explore the city quite thoroughly. The city is big enough that you end up in places but small enough that you know the general area–so it is pretty manageable!  

The Dutch way of life is a little different than that of the United States. People leisurely sit eating lunch for 3 hours, the cars always stop for you at crosswalks, and of course everyone uses a bicycle. I honestly cannot believe how many bikes you see, it is just strange for me to see business men in their three piece suits riding bicycles around. But all in all the Dutch way is relaxing and it is nice to be immersed in it.

To make everything better Maastricht is centrally located in Europe giving us the opportunity to travel anywhere easily. We have picked out three places already: Barcelona, Prague, and of course Amsterdam. But those will have to wait till after our Study Tour in which we will be able to enjoy the sites of Brussels, Bruges, Luxembourg, Paris, Strasbourg, Reims to name a few. There we will be visiting important institutions within the European Union’s structure.

We just had our first weekend which was only two days of full free time–therefore it’s the shortest weekend–so we decided to go to Utrecht, a city close by. The city itself is known for its college scene and its towering cathedrals. Both were great to experience, the young population really made the city seem like it would never go to bed and the towering medieval structures just put an aura around the whole town. It would be like partying with all your friends in State College but with enormous, gorgeous sites hundreds of years old looking down at you, not that Old Main isn’t beautiful. Also we walked into the most bewitching cathedral I have ever laid eyes on and a choir starting singing angelic music in harmony right upon entrance. It was just one of those moments that you could not make more perfect.

So I promised last times and I have taken over a thousand so without further ado I give to you some of my favorites!

P1000086.jpg

P1000358.JPGP1000346.JPGP1000409.jpgP1000405.jpgP1000391.jpgP1000103.JPGP1000099.jpg

Location: Maastricht, Netherlands