Getting ready for Quebec!

Sometimes my friends would laugh when I said I was studying abroad in Canada this summer. 

“That’s not abroad!” joked one of them. And, sure– I see his point. Canada’s not that far or exotic. It’s probably one of the few study abroad locations that can be reached by car. But despite this, Canada is home to millions of French speakers, European-style cities, and a Francophone culture vastly different from my Pennsylvanian one here. So take that, friend!
My name’s Noelle and I’m a French and Journalism double-major. I’ll be spending five weeks in Quebec City this summer for an intensive French immersion program at the Universite Laval, and here’s where I’ll be blogging about it. I’m beyond excited because, first, I’m obsessed with travelling. And second, this is my chance to really work on my French. I hope to come back this fall speaking fluidly and with a lovely French accent. One can only hope, right? 
Here’s a picture of a friend and me in Lyon, France last summer. I’m the one on the right.
38998_414641416172_622366172_4899131_6464572_n.jpg
I know I could have chosen to go to France (a lot of people ask me why I didn’t), but I’ve been there before. Don’t get me wrong; I love it there. But all my French classes at Penn State have been about the language, history, and literature of France. I haven’t learned at all about Quebec, and that’s partly what drew me to this program. I also spent a brief amount of time in Quebec City a couple years ago– only a few hours, really, while my family was on our way to someplace else. Just that amount of time was enough to convince me that I needed to come back. Evidence: 
DSC00601.JPG
I took this shot in 2008, and yes, Quebec City has a CASTLE. Or as they say in French, a chateau. I don’t leave until the end of June, but I already can’t wait to spend my summer there. I’ll write again soon! 

Location: State College, PA

5 thoughts on “Getting ready for Quebec!

1. MEGAN ALETTA BROWN

Quebec is amazing!! But if you get the ability to go Montreal, take the chance. It is a bit of a drive from Quebec city, but not over all too bad! Plus Montreal has the underground city! I Hope you have an amazing time in Quebec!! Beautiful picture by the way!!

2. KELSEY MARGARET ROGALEWICZ

I’ve actually never even been to Canada! It would be wonderful to travel there, and Quebec seems absolutely lovely! I’m sure you’ll have an amazing time studying there!

3. LUCY JALIN SONG

Absolutely loved your post! I actually would really like to visit Quebec and I can’t wait to read more! 🙂