No homework?! Is this real life?

This week and next week are my trial periods for classes (or modules, as they call them here).  I came in knowing pretty much what I wanted to take, after talking to my business adviser.  My COMM adviser never really e-mails me back, so I’m just hoping that the class I am taking to count as a COMM credit does.  Otherwise, I was told to take two GAU’s (international classes for business……I think any class here should count for that, but we’ll see), a GH, and a GN. 

Module #1 (what I hope to count as a COMM class)Sociology of Media Audiences.  I have previously taken sociology, as well as Cultural Studies of the Mass Media, and I found both topics to be incredibly interesting…..so that led me to this module.  The lecturer (they don’t call them professors…) is pretty awesome.  We have one assignment worth 45% of our grade and a project worth 55% of our grade.  Yay for no exams!  The only drawback:  It is at 9AM on Mondays and Fridays.  Yikes!  The good thing about is that she puts everything on Sulis (their version of Angel), so you don’t REALLY have to show up to lectures.  I believe this will sit pretty in my schedule.

Module #2 (what will almost definitely be a GN)Geoscience.  I really struggled through my first geoscience module.  Our lecturer is rather monotone, and I think I took a micronap at one point in time.  I panicked and thought, “Oh no! I have to find another science class!”  I thought I’d try out Clean Technology just in case I liked it better.  I didn’t.  Geoscience it is!  The module grades purely on essays, so that could get interesting.

Module #3 (GH/GAU)Irish Folklore.  This module is almost entirely international students, and the lecturer seems very nice.  Sticking with this one for sure.

Module #4 (GS?):  Social Psychology.  I’m not really sure if I need this module for anything, but the subject interests me, and the lecturer seems pretty solid.  In.

Module #5 (not sure if this counts for anything after just talking to my adviser…..which is unfortunate)Historical/Cultural Geography of Ireland.  The module seems interesting, but the lecturer is a bit hard to understand.  If it doesn’t count for anything for me, I will not be taking it.

I am venturing to an Irish music/dance module today, and hopefully that will count as my other GAU.  If not…..then I’ll still probably take that over Module 5, just because it will be fun.  hah.

Other updates:

I went to my first club here on Tuesday night for my friend Danielle’s birthday.  It was called Trinity Rooms (which makes me think of church), and it was out of control. I felt old in there, though.  I’m guessing most were 18-19 year olds.  Drinks were very expensive, and it seemed no matter where I was dancing, there was always someone dancing all up on me.  I don’t think I’ll go back.  Pubs > Clubs.

I booked my first flight on RyanAir!  Heading to Belgium in two weeks! Yay!

The internet went down in our house on Wednesday night, and everyone freaked out (we literally don’t do anything late at night that isn’t on the internet).  Also, two random drunk Irish men wandered into our house that night.  Not sure how they got in, but that was weird.

Almost forgot!  Going to Galway this weekend 🙂

Can’t wait to plan more trips.  I want to go everywhere!

No photos this post, but there should be a ton on the next post from Galway!

Location: Limerick, Ireland

One thought on “No homework?! Is this real life?

1. Anonymous

I did a presentation on RyanAir…they charge for carry-on luggage now! Plans to charge for the restroom are in the works as well.

-Kim