Incredible Politeness

November 2, 2010

I must say that I am quite impressed with the manners of most Japanese. It’s probably because am not used to their mannerisms, but I really feel like royalty sometimes when just walking around. For example, I could be in the grocery store and at one of the aisle intersections both a Japanese shopper and I will reach the edge at the same time. They bow and make hand gestures to indicate that they want me to go ahead. Not really thinking, I smile and walk by. Now I have gotten much better at my mannerisms in that respect; now I smile and bow, and refuse their offer and gesture them to go. The scene I imagine would be quite amusing to an American viewer, seeing two shoppers at a standstill gesturing each other to go by until one of them finally gives up resisting the others politeness and accepting defeat, but that’s just how it is. There’s certainly a sense of accomplishment upon victory, but it also makes you feel good inside. You may take this as an unusual statement, but showing politeness to others in these subtle situations conjures the same feeling you get when you do a good deed for someone, unless you’re a misanthrope.

This is one thing I will probably bring with me back to America once I return. I can see myself already bowing to people and being overly nice for no reason at all, maybe even going out of my way to help somebody out. Quick story but my first time getting lost I had to ask some stranger where the train station was. After I asked, he stopped heading toward his destination and instead guided me himself to the station, an act I thought inconceivable. I could never see anybody in my hometown, college, or in a city for that matter in America doing that. It really is hard to believe that Japan was a violent place at one time…

Here is a picture of my kindness towards a stray cat I saw outside a convenience store. I find it amazing that I can spend money on a cat but not so much for my friends. For instance, I would most likely never buy a friend a meal, but a cat heck yes I will. FYI, the cat loved the food I bought–success!!!Photo-0109.jpg

Here is a picture I took of myself as an apologetic gesture that I used when sending a “sorry” text to my Japanese friends via cellphone. I’m not dead or suffering from stomach pain, I am bowing to the extreme. (Japanese never bow this far unless in the old days in the presence of royalty or something).

Photo-0085.jpg

Location: Japan