Exploring Akihabra

October 13, 2010

Akihabara is truly a paradise for anybody who has an interest in technology. From the newest, advanced tech to the old junk of the past Akihabara has it all. For those of you who do not know, Akihabara is a subsection of Tokyo that specializes in selling electronic products. This Wikipedia description sums it up pretty good. “Akihabara is a major shopping area for electronic, computer, anime, and otaku goods, including new and used items. New parts for PC-building are readily available from a variety of stores. Tools, electrical parts, wires, microsized cameras and similar items are found in the cramped passageways of Soto Kanda 1-chōme (near the station). Foreign tourists tend to visit the big name shops like Laox or other speciality shops near the station, though there is more variety and lower prices at locales a little further away. Akihabara gained some fame through being home to one of the first stores devoted to personal robots and robotics.” Akiba–the shortened name for Akihabara–is not limited to stores just selling electronic stuff; there are also plenty of other stores and businesses in the area. For fans of the Japanese group AKB48 there is a whole building devoted to selling their merchandise and holding their live concerts. I personally think that they cannot sing nor dance, but nevertheless I wanted to see at least one concert of theirs. Thanks to my luck however, once I reached the floor where their concerts are held I found out that their previous concert had just ended and I would have to wait for four hours for their next one. “My god! Screw that”, I thought to myself, and reluctantly motioned myself to the escalator that would bring me to the entrance, only to have my attention grabbed by a strange wall full of plaques. Upon further inspection I realized what the contents of the plaques were: The people who have come to the concerts the most number of times. Now, I just have to go back to the subject of Otaku here because Otaku are the main fan base of this particularly band. AKB48 is a band of 48 members, all of whom are in high school or around that age. Their outfits in both their music videos and live performances are always tailored for a cuteness appeal, and the Otaku just love it. Here is hopefully a picture of one of the members (keeps fingers crossed).3cb0a86_1280921262773.jpg

Akiba certainly is a place I could shop all day at–granted I had the money to do so. There is just so much, pardon my language, shit to do and buy that it is crazy. I mean you can just go there and walk around inside and outside the buildings and in no time hours will have passed. If I didn’t want to pay super high shipping prices I would totally buy some cheap junk to send back home and tinker with.

Location: Japan