And we’re off to Poudlard!

If you’re reading this blog, you probably know that I have always been an avid Harry Potter fan. Obviously, I had eagerly been awaiting the release of the 7th movie (first part of the 7th movie to be specific). So when 19th November rolled around, the universal release date for the movie, I could barely contain my excitement as I started preparing myself to go for the midnight release. Apparently, the term ‘universal’ applies to the whole world, except for France. I was so livid, I wanted to wave my ‘baguette magique’ and Avada Kedavra someone into oblivion for making me wait another week. This is SUPPOSED to be a developed country, so why do we still have to wait for universal blockbusters to come out weeks after they are released?! Even India is ahead of France in this aspect! (as it is in a lot of aspects, something I have gathered over my semester here…expect a blog about that soon).

Anyway, after much disappointment, I finally saw the movie last week! In English, with French subtitles which is a story in itself. The movie theatre system works differently here. If a movie is scheduled to start at 8.15, previews will go on for a good 20 minutes before it begins. There was no intermission during the movie, no snack machines. No seating system (but then, I think that only exists in India), and the lights stayed off even after the movie was over, which was a bit odd…I know you have a universal health care system, France, but are you really encouraging people to have to use it?

As much as my dad tried to convince me to watch Harry Potter in French (you are there to practice French. Make it an educational experience!), I just couldn’t bring myself to do it, and for good reason. Even just reading the ridiculous French translations for some of the words that have been in my vocabulary for over ten years now was bad enough- I found myself cracking up uncontrollably when I read that Hogwarts translates into ‘Poudlard’ en Fran�ais. Or that a wand is a ‘baguette magique’ or simply, a baguette. Like the bread.

“What happened to my baguette, Hermione?” “It broke while I was trying to disapparate”

Sorry Dad, but I don’t think I could have sat through that with a straight face!

Location: Rouen, France

4 thoughts on “And we’re off to Poudlard!

1. adarsh jain

dear Aarti usually movies in western countries run whole time, you enter and sit down and watch and when your part you started come, then you can leave, most probably that,s why the lights did not come when the movie finished

2. AARTI MANGLA

A lot of things don’t work like you’d expect them too.

How did you not like this movie? To me, it was absolutely perfect. Nothing was wrong with it. They couldn’t have made it any better. They stuck to the storyline, they didn’t add random things that never happened, and I didn’t find an discrepencies in their acting skills either.

3. AARTI MANGLA

4. Ananya Gupta

That’s really odd that they did not release in time. And I agree, the translations sound ridiculous. But I still stand by the fact that I did not enjoy this movie.