Barcelona

During my long weekend from classes, my friends and I decided to go to Barcelona. I took many years of Spanish in high school and I learned a lot about the culture so I was very excited to go. We flew from Ciampino airport in Rome to Gerona in Barcelona, and the actual flight was quite short. It was traveling to and from the airport that was long and a headache. We got there late Thursday night, so when we got up the next morning we went out to explore. We bought tickets for the tour bus that goes throughout the city, and that was one of the best things we could have done. It picked us up and dropped us off as we pleased at stops all throughout the city. We first got off at La Rambla, one of the main streets in Barcelona. There were stores and restaurants all along the road. After we saw all we wanted we got back on the bus, and soon we were by the ocean. We got off at the port and saw a lot of boats in the marina. This was my favorite part of the trip. It was beautiful by the water and there were tents along the side that sold very unique jewelery and other things. Around here we found the Barcelona aquarium so we went inside and saw some interesting things.

DSCN3300.JPG

For dinner, we went to a place on another main road, and we were very disappointed with the service. The waiter asked us what we ordered three times, never brought us glasses for our water, and one of the meals came long after we had all finished. My friend Allie’s meal never came because she got so frustrated and canceled it, and all it was was a salad and potatoes. We wondered if it was perhaps because of our age or our nationality. Even though the process was painful, I actually really liked my food. I had grilled chicken and roasted potatoes. The food in Barcelona was very different from Italian food. There were no quick pizza places, or anything quick for that matter, and the majority of the food was seafood. This was unfortunate for me because I do not like seafood. My friends order paella and said it was delicious. After this we went back to the hostel. Staying in a hostel was not very bad at all. It was clean and safe place, and it was nice because all the people in my room were the people I had come with. We had free breakfast and internet, and a cool place to hang out and meet people from all over the world.

The next day we went to the beach. It was so nice to be able to sit and relax by the ocean. This beach was very different from those at home. There were a lot of topless women and even a completely nude woman. I could not believe that they felt so comfortable with their bodies. Just yet another example of how different the cultures in Europe are from America. Also, there were boys playing soccer on the sand, and it was actually pretty official. They had jerseys, a referee, lines around the “field,” and family and friends cheering them on with intensity. It was interesting to see the major differences here than in America, and I thoroughly enjoyed the ocean. The nice thing about Barcelona is that it is a city on the ocean. After sitting on the beach for a couple of hours we got up and explored the city more. We found some interesting places including the Spanish Arc de Triump and a really nice park.

DSCN3354.JPG

That night we went to a Spanish flamenco dance and opera show. It was a great way to fit in some Spanish culture. The singing and dancing was amazing. I could not believe how fast they moved their feet. The music and the sound of the dancers’ shoes on the floor mended together perfectly. They also gave us a glass of sangria with our ticket which added to the Spanish feel. Barcelona was overall a great trip. I loved the feeling of the city, and I would definitely suggest visiting there. I would certainly enjoy going back there some day.

DSCN3410.JPG

I am more than halfway done with my experience abroad, and I cannot believe how quickly it has gone. It is nice to be back in Rome and I hope to make the most of my time left here. Soon I am going to London for two days and Dublin for the next two, and I am so excited to be able to travel as much as I am. Allie and I have always wanted to go to Ireland, and I am really looking forward to it! 

Location: Barcelona, Spain