An end-of-semester beginning

Usually I write into a personal journal whenever I feel the need to talk about something.

I’m a writer. That’s what I do.

ricky_pic.jpgSo changing gears — for a blog! — will take some getting used to, especially since I haven’t really used a blog since the junior high school days of <www.livejournal.com> and <www.xanga.com>, when I was a hopelessly romantic goth kid.

At some point I decided, you know, to keep all of my thoughts to myself.

Until now, that is.

All that said, I’m a double major in journalism and comparative literature at Penn State University. I’ll be studying abroad in Buenos Aires, Argentina this fall.

According to one of my comparative literature (CMLIT) teachers, we’re hopelessly ensconced in the American lifestyle of work, work, work — that is, all work and no play. Things are so fast-paced here in the consumer-driven states that we don’t ever stop to really breathe in the air. I might be putting words in his mouth at this point, but regardless, it’s how I feel.

I hear things are a little different in other countries. How different, I’m not entirely sure, but I suppose I’ll find out in a few months.

Chances are people are really busy everywhere in the world — I don’t think that’s a uniquely American phenomenon. But there just might be some truth to this whole “American lifestyle” thing. I mean, what is the American lifestyle, anyway?

Well, I hope to post some multimedia slideshows, audio interviews, videos, etc., during my time leading up to the trip as well as my throughout my journeys in South America. I have family down there and such, so it should be exciting. But more on that later.

Thanks for reading. Like I said, I’ll be posting more, so watch out.

-Ricky

Location: State College, PA