This is Unreal

My name is Sophia Fox and I am junior majoring in print and digital journalism and I will be spending my semester in Florence, Italy.

You should know that I am currently lying in my bed in my own bedroom that is in my average American house that sits in my little neighborhood, which is located in a little suburb, which is surrounded by more little suburbs. And this is one of the last times I can say that before I leave for a trip that will take me across the world for the next four months.

I’ve lived in the same house for over 10 years and I know the scenery outside of my window in my bedroom like the back of my hand. But after four months, I can’t help but to think that it may not be as recognizable. I wonder what the scenery will be like outside my window in Florence and will it become as familiar. Will I change as a person and become someone different than I am today or will I be just as recognizable as I was when I left?

In all honestly, it really still has not hit me that I leave in less than two days. But I came pretty close yesterday as I was driving home from hanging out with some of my college friends for the last time, I turned to my friend and said “We are going to be spending a semester traveling around in Europe. That is unreal.” Unreal is about the only word I can really think of to use to describe what the next four months will be like.

It is unreal that me, a pretty average American college student, will leave my comfortable life to live within a culture I no nothing about, let alone the native language. It is unreal that my family and my marvelous college have given me this opportunity. It’s unreal that I will be leaving some of the greatest people I have ever met in State College, but their endless encouragement has made it slightly easier.

Within the next 72 hours I will embark on a trip of a lifetime. My final word of thought is: unreal.

Location: Harrisburg, PA 17110

This entry was posted in Uncategorized on by .

About Sophia Fox

I am junior majoring in print and digital journalism from Harrisburg, PA. While at school, I enjoy volunteering for THON as a Donor & Alumni Relations committee member, being on the executive board for the on campus food pantry called "Lion's Pantry", being a member of greek life and interning with the Athletic Department. When not at school you can find me falling in love with fictional literary characters, baking desserts and attempting not to eat them all, trying to organize the clutter in my life, and striving to post the perfect Instagram picture.

One thought on “This is Unreal