Katie’s Catchphrases and London Culture Explained

There’s no doubt that London, like most places, has a unique dialect and different culture compared to the U.S.A. At first, some cultural quirks seemed a bit intimidating (and embarrassing, as you’ll read below), but even after only living in London for a week and a half, certain phrases and understood rules of London have become ingrained. The following is a top five list of my favorite London sayings and cultural differences.

Note: please read the following list in an English accent (that’s right, our one tour guide was adamant that a British accent does not exist. If a person is English, then they are also British, but just because a person is British it does not make them English, therefore someone can be British but have an English, Scottish, or Welsh accent, but not a British accent).

1. Mind the Gap

A popular and well-known phrase even outside of London, “mind the gap” simply means to be careful (mindful) of the gap between the train and the platform at the tube station. Other variations include: mind your head, or mind your step.

2. You MUST ride on the right side of the escalator

This is where the embarrassing part from the intro comes in. Often the tube stations have very long escalators with very small signs that tell you to stay on the ride side. They aren’t kidding. The first few days I’d get on an escalator as usual – by standing right in the middle to ride the whole way down – much to the frustration of the long line of people behind me that were impatiently waiting to pass. Of course, as a city, Londoners move quickly, so often people actually want to walk down the escalator and get on as quickly as possible.

3. Cheers, it’s no worries

Though “cheers” can also be used in the U.S.A. as a toasting word, London uses it for almost any occasion. Leaving from a store? Cheers! Coming into a restaurant? Cheers! You alright? Waitress delivers your coffee? Cheers! Paying your bill afterwards? Cheers! Just found out princess Charlotte was born? Cheers! The possibilities are endless, and if there’s one phrase I hope to adopt, it’s certainly cheers.

A smaller phrase I’ve noticed and loved is how people respond to “thank you.” Variations I’ve heard so far are “no worries” and “it’s alright.” I rarely hear “you’re welcome” or “my pleasure” (for Chick-Fil-A goers like myself).

4. London is not NYC

Before I started my study abroad trip, part of me was worried about living in a city. I never liked the constant and overwhelming sounds, smells, and lights of NYC for long periods of time, so I didn’t know what to expect of London. London, however, is a city and a small town all in one. We’re currently staying in cute, homey flats with two beautiful squares on either side of us. There’s a lot of locally owned cafes and most things close by 10. The locals are also the nicest people I have ever met. Without asking, if they sense you’re confused about the tube stops or which way to Russell Square, they don’t mind stopping and helping. When my group was on the London Eye, one of the locals explained to us different buildings we could see and the history of them.

On the other hand, there’s a great deal of diversity (and ethnic food), a LOT of traffic, cars that do NOT wait for anyone to finish crossing (they honestly will honk and hit you without remorse), an awesome and accessible transportation system, and a lot of ways to get lost (as I have done a few times already). Though this mixture of small town feel and city life may seem contradictory, London pulls it together perfectly.

5. Rubbish, Loo, to Let, Bloody Brilliant, and Cash Machines

This may seem like a lot of words under one number, however these are pretty small and self-explanatory words/phrases.

1. They really do call trash “rubbish,” and often public trashcans are marked as “Litter Bin” or “Rubbish.”
  2. Bathrooms do not exist in London, but you can easily find your way to the loo, although they’re often bluntly marked “Toilets.”
  3. I’ve also seen “To Let” on a lot on buildings that are up for rent, and while easy to figure out by context what this phrase means, it was still strange seeing it on realtor signs.
  4. Harry, Ron, and Hermione aren’t the only ones to say that the fish and chips here are “bloody brilliant.” Both words are used frequently together or separately, and you can’t go wrong using either to describe something.
  5. Cash machines are another way that Londoners tend to be very blunt. You’ll never find an ATM in London, but the cash machines are every few blocks at the nearest Sainsbury Local (the most common market, often too small to be called a true grocery store).

Thanks again for reading, and keep following as I learn, explore, and experience more in London over the next few weeks! Cheers, love!