Una Locura: the Argentine Classroom

Earlier in the semester, I decided to take a course at one of the local universities in Buenos Aires. I decided to take a class at the Pontifica Universidad Católica de Argentina (la UCA) because they offered courses in history.  La UCA is a private university in Buenos Aires, as opposed to the University of Buenos Aires, which is free to Argentines, as well as foreigners. I didn’t know what to expect on registration day for international students, and certainly nothing could have prepared me for what ensued.

When I arrived, I was given a course catalogue with course descriptions. For a while, I looked through the book and found a few courses that interested me. Then I went to an area where the schedule of courses was posted on paper. Squeezing past other international students, I tried to squint at the times and see which courses fit in with the rest of my schedule. Eventually, I found a course, Argentine History of the Twentieth Century, that fit in my schedule, wrote it down on paper, and signed. I then handed in my registration form to be placed in a manila envelope and thought, well, I hope there is a spot in the class. After this experience, I vowed never to complain about scheduling online and receiving immediate confirmation at Penn State.

When I arrived to my first day of class, I was nervous and hoped my registration had gone through. My stomach turned and I worried what expectations the teacher would have. While we waited, I made an Argentine gesture of being scared: palm facing upward, opening and closing my fingers. The professor finally arrived a half hour late and class began. She was very curious about all of the foreigners in my class and had all of us introduce ourselves. Her welcoming spirit and her clear speaking calmed my nerves about the class.

Two professors teach the class, and both always try to include comparisons with the US. My first professor is very passionate, loves jokes and always will start a hearty debate during class. Sometimes, these debates become a little overwhelming with Argentine students raising their voices to explain their opinions, but it is a great way to challenge my Spanish skills. This year is an election year in Argentina, so everyone is buzzing about politics: Macri, Massa, PRO divided, Peronists also divided. Everyone  in the class expresses their opinions about the death of Nissman, the lawyer investigating the 1994 bombing of a synagogue and found dead in his bathroom.During these conversations, I am very pleased when I understand references to or jokes about Argentine politics.

After a month of going to the class, the subject is absolutely fascinating. As my professor said the first day of class, Argentine history fascinates foreigners but is painful for Argentines. This has proved true. I do not know that much about Argentine history, so for me everything in the course is new and exciting. Sometimes being unfamiliar with the content of the course makes it more difficult, but it’s all part of the challenge of taking a course at the local university. But for the Argentines in the class, learning about the development of their country makes them question why their country is in the situation it is today.

Some of them seem either ambivalent or extremely disappointed with politics. Many say they want to go to the States because they believe America has no significant problems. One student carried a bag with an American flag design on it, and my professor questioned it and asked if the students had any sense of national identity or pride. The students rolled their eyes.  Granted, my teacher’s reaction is a little exaggerated; plenty of Americans wear clothes with British flags too, but the conversation is indicative of the frustration of some Argentines. The students in la UCA are mainly from the upper middle or upper class families. They can afford to pay for higher education when it is offered for free by the state, so I assume their families are fairly successful.  So considering their situation, it surprises me that they feel so disenchanted with their country.

However, I do not mean to say that students here are entirely disenchanted. My house mate goes to the public University of Buenos Aires, and her classes are constantly interrupted by organizations trying to promote social and political issues. But to me it is fascinating to compare these two experiences in very different universities of Buenos Aires.

Location: Av. Alicia Moreau de Justo 1300 Buenos Aires, Argentina

This entry was posted in Latin America and tagged , , , on by .

About Alison Claire Roby

Hi! I'm a senior studying biomedical engineering and Spanish. I am a Schreyer's Honors scholar and am in the IUG program to finish a master's degree. My research, which will culminate in my thesis, focuses on the functional connectivity changes associated with nicotine administration in rats. I have participated in outreach events through Discovery Space and the Society of Women Engineers. I look forward to my experience with Haunted-U, and hopefully many more outreach events!