Dear America, Take Note.

As the second week of classes are coming to a close, it’s hit me that I’ve been in Korea for nearly three weeks. THREE WEEKS. How can so much happen in three weeks? How can three weeks feel like three months? (in a good way, of course)

In my three weeks in Seoul, I have noticed that Korea just gets it.  There are some parts of this culture that make so much sense I can’t believe America hasn’t jumped on board.

DEAR AMERICA, TAKE NOTE.

1.) Call Bells
Call bells are REVOLUTIONARY.  Truly.  Imagine this, dear Americans: you go to a restaurant. You look at the menu. Everyone decides what they want. Then… you press a button on the table. A waiter appears within seconds, you tell them the order, they disappear.  Soon your food is brought out. Everyone eats. Everyone is happy. But WAIT! Someone needs a refill.  And… you press the button again. Boom, waiter.  Boom, refill. So simple, so easy. This way, you don’t have a waiter interrupting your conversation every few minutes to check on you. And this way, the waiter doesn’t have to plaster on a fake smile and act as if they really care about you and your dinner.  (Added bonus: Korea isn’t about the tip life. It’s actually insulting if you give a tip.)

2.) Street Food
I could write an entire blog post declaring my love for street food. No, I could write an entire NOVEL dedicated to my love for street food. Street food is truly something special, friends.
Practically anywhere you go in the city of Seoul, there are little stands all over, all bearing some of the greatest food you will experience in Korea.  And all for around $1-$3.  Does it get any better than that?!
waffle street food
chicken street food

Pictured above: Ice cream waffles, Fried chicken and fries, and 호떡 (hotteok) so good it will singlehandedly convince you to move to Korea (호떡 are mini pancakes with filling that will change your entire life)

3.) Karaoke
Forget all you know about karaoke, because Korea’s karaoke is not only different, but way better.
In America, many people associate karaoke with you in a crowded room or bar, rolling your eyes as someone clearly intoxicated stumbles their way to stage and sings some slurred, earsplitting rendition of “Oops I Did It Again.”
But in Korea? They have 노래방. Literal translation: Singing room. You and your friends can actually rent a ROOM, equipped with TV, fun lights, microphones, and couches. You can also get drinks if you wish. Not so that you can down them in hopes you won’t hear the next painful karaoke stranger, but so that you can drink them and have a fun time rocking out to your favorite songs with your friends. It’s one big party, and you can spot about twenty 노래방 places on one street of Seoul. They’re everywhere.

Screen Shot 2015-03-12 at 11.42.45 AM

4.) Sharing Culture
My personal condolences to any germaphobes who travel to Korea. Sharing culture is huge here. It’s very common to go out to eat and order one bowl of something, and everyone eats out of it. I’ve become so used to trying everyones food and tasting everyone’s drinks that I don’t know how I’m going to adjust back in America when that’s not really a thing. The best thing about sharing culture is dinners tend to be pretty cheap. You can end up having a bill of around $30 for a group of 7 or 8 people. And you don’t end up eating as much as you would back home, because you’re sharing it with everyone. Here are some pictures from some (crazy delicious) meals I’ve split with others…

11017839_1546133895674175_3088840391503454061_n

156058_1548086578812240_1883079772899208465_n

11028969_1547182615569303_2265838736909161713_n

5.) Cheap Textbooks
I have a total of eight textbooks right now. And you know how much I spent overall? $170. For eight textbooks. $170 back in the States can’t even buy me a pdf file of one textbook. The struggle is all too real.

6.) Dessert Cafes
This is probably one of my favorite things about Korea, and I’m sure those who know me reading from back home are just shaking their heads and saying “Oh Paige…” But listen! Dessert cafes! You order your yummy dessert, share said yummy dessert with friends, and sit and talk for the next few hours in this cute, cozy cafe. Doesn’t that just sound like paradise?!

So America, I hope you were listening carefully. I expect these all to be happening when I return in June. 🙂

(Gotta give credit when credit is due… all food photos credit to Anne Feller! aka one of my fave people to discover Seoul with)

2 thoughts on “Dear America, Take Note.

1. Kelsey

Paige.. This has to be one of the greatest things I’ve read in a long time!! I LOVE this blog. Don’t stop writing! I’m looking forward to the next post!

2. Renee

Yeah, those all make sense to me. Let’s open a “Singing Room” in Bridgeville. It’s the next big thing. I think I have the “sharing culture” thing down pat. 🙂 It all looks really like a lot of fun! Enjoy!