Le città d’Italia

A First-hand Comparison

Over the past few weeks, I have managed to see a number of Italian cities outside of the familiar confines of Rome. Due to Rome’s large size, it is able to take on numerous personalities that can cater to every type of individual. However, with these smaller cities, you are able to notice distinct personalities for each city as well as distinct cultures. Siena, Florence, and Venice are three notable Italian cities that, while containing similar elements, have very different feels to them.

Siena

Siena is a small, castle-like town located on top of a hill in the Tuscany region of Italy. Fortified by an ancient wall surrounding the city, it is primarily composed of two main streets and one large piazza (where a famous horse race is held every year). Due to its small size, the city is NOT a frequent tourist stop, but still well known nevertheless. I have been to Siena on two separate occasions now and have loved my visit each time. The littleness of Siena is its most appealing aspect; it is not some large city that has expanded and expanded over time. It is a small, compact city full of authentic Italians and a rich history. The medieval and Renaissance history alone make it worthwhile to visit, but the chance partake in the culture of the city is just as enticing. Whether you are visiting the Duomo, relaxing in the Piazza del Campo, or wandering the alleys looking for a meal, Siena has a large, rich offering for a city of its size. Last but certainly not least, there is no one trying to sell you a selfie-stick at any point – this will always be a victory in my book. Rock on, Siena.

Florence

IMG_0626 Florence is a medium-sized, traditional Italian city serving as the capital of the Tuscany region. It is located on the Arno river and was the cultural capital of the word during the Renaissance. From my personal experience, Florence is a tale of two cities. The first time I visited six years ago, I was firmly in the tourist bubble – it was the first city I had ever visited outside of Italy. The sites were left me awestruck, the winding city roads left me curious, and English on the menus everywhere was too convenient. My family and I were SO tourist that we even participated in a Segway tour (#YOLO). I had such a positive experience that my expectations were very high coming back for the second time. However, I found myself leaving with a feeling of disappointment. Aspects that I found so awesome the first time were now suddenly tainted. Every famous historical aspect of the city was either tainted by tourists or under restoration. You could not find a food menu in Italian without crossing bridges to the outskirts of the city. Food and drink were over-priced and underwhelming in quality. Finally, there were American students everywhere, with you being able to hear an English conversation at every street corner. Now, this is not to say that these aspects ruin a city; quite the contrary, Rome is full of these aspects. But the mitigating factor is the congestion of these aspects and that is where Rome and Florence greatly differ. Rome is the largest city in Italy by a landslide while Florence comes in at a mere 9th. All things being equal, Florence is a small city coupled with a HUGE tourism industry – it is inescapable. For me personally, the beauty of Rome is that you can walk by a huge crowd of tourists at St. Peters square and then be in a neighborhood where they speak strictly Italian. I did not feel this way in Florence. Like I have mentioned in previous posts, the study abroad experience is not solely predicated on going places and seeing the sites – it is based on interactions and experiences. I did not manage to find either in my time spent in Florence. However, I do believe that it is there. I just have to have more time to spend looking. I’ll be back, Florence. I’m determined to make us work.

Venice 

At this current moment, I am sitting on a train going from Venice to Verona – therefore, my reflection on this city will be remarkably fresh. Venice is a small city, based on top of water and serving as capital of the Veneto region. On a scale ranging from Florence to Siena, I would say Venice falls somewhere in the middle. It is a city that is driven by tourism, but allows you to escape from it. It is a city where people are going to always visit because of its uniqueness, and Venice knows it. Apart from Rome, I would say Venice is the most well known city in Italy. From its canals with its gondolas to St. Marks Square, Venice is a very different experience and one that everyone should experience in their life. Nowhere else in the world can you constantly walk over canals and not see one motor vehicle anywhere. Even though the city is driven by tourism, it has its own Venetian personality and culture that it still allowed it to be enjoyable unlike Florence. Additionally, you are able to escape the tourism. While St. Marks square may be filled with selfie-stick salesmen, you can walk ten minutes outside of it and find straight Italian restaurants. Just this morning, I had to order breakfast for my parents and I strictly in Italian because the staff did not know a lick of English. Like I have mentioned and mentioned before, it is in these moments where I get that feeling of satisfaction in my study abroad experience. Being able to integrate myself into a culture and feel confident in my abilities and myself is the ultimate goal and this morning just reinforced that belief. Consequently, I thoroughly enjoyed Venice. Its own distinct Venetian culture coupled with the uniqueness of the experience makes Venice a must-visit while studying abroad in Italy. Molto buono, Venetzia. Molto buono.

Location: Siena, Piazza del Campo, Florence, Duomo, Uffizi Galleries, Accademia, Venice, Saint Mark's Square, Murano