New Week, New Country

I’ve discovered one thing from my time in Florence so far: I am in love with this city; the history, the culture, the architecture, just to name a few. It’s hard to find a negative aspect of living in Europe. There are differences, sure. For example, the keys –which are shaped much differently than those in the United States— were impossible to unlock. During my first few days here, I was petrified to walk home from class and be unable to get into my apartment. I was determined to learn the ways of the Italian keys, and the day before classes started, I practiced with some of my roommates. Finally, the lock clicked and the door opened. Although it was a small victory, when you’re living in a new and different place, you’ll take all the victories you can get.

On the first day of orientation, we were warned about the dreaded culture shock. Let’s face it, it does happen. Living in a new city, where I don’t speak the language or know my way around could be a recipe for disaster. Readers, I know that may not be exactly what you might be what you want to hear, but it is the reality of the situation. It’s not all bad though, and each day gets easier. It brings opportunity for new discoveries of new shops, routes and restaurants (because it’s Italy and everyone comes for the food). It’s all about taking advantage of those opportunities, because when you’re living in Europe, who knows when you’ll get back or how long you’ll be there for. Make the most of the city, and wander until you find something inspiring. In Florence, there is beauty everywhere, so that wouldn’t be very difficult.

Navigating the city is confusing because there are so many twists and turns. Despite my lapses in direction, I was able to find both my school buildings easily. The first day of classes, I had to go from one building to the other, and as soon as I stepped into the street, I realized I was completely alone, and I had no choice but to find my way to the next building. Rest assured, readers. Not only was I able to find my way, I was able to find my way back to the market, attempt to get groceries in Italian and walk home by myself! It takes some time, but I love that I’m beginning to get the hang of things!

It’s been an interesting week. I’ve survived my first four-day week of classes, and I love them. It took a little time to perfect my schedule, but I can tell that I am really going to take something away from them! This weekend, the school took us to Chianti, where we toured an operational castle and did a wine tasting where we learned the proper techniques to taste wine. I had signed up for a day trip to Siena and San Gimignano, two Tuscan towns. Despite the rainy morning, it was an amazing trip with breathtaking views and beautiful architecture.

I know that everyday is going to bring something new, and I can’t wait to see what happens next week!

not a bad view from my room!

not a bad view from my room!

Location: Firenze

One thought on “New Week, New Country

1. Karishma Dinyar Kodia

The streets of Europe are absolutely gorgeous but definitely trickier to navigate with all the curves and turns! It definitely makes for a prettier walk and it’s exciting to be able to figure out where you are after a moment of getting lost. I also love that in navigating the streets, we notice buildings, signs, and (let’s face it) different ice cream shops that serve as markers for where we are!