Ciao from Firenze!

After 9 hours in a plane, delays from the snow, and running through the Paris airport to make my connecting flight, I have finally arrived in Florence. Between meeting my seven other roommates and figuring out how to find my university, to say these past five days have been stressful is an understatement.

Upon arriving in Florence I was clueless. I had no prior knowledge on where I was living and whom I was living with. I didn’t even have a copy of my class schedule for the semester. So when boarding the flight from JFK to the unknown in Italy my anxiety was at an all time high.

When flying into Florence my anxiety soon turned to excitement, as I peered out the plane window at the rolling hills spotted with Tuscan homes below. The program advisors greeted us with thick accents and grinning faces. As soon as I collected my luggage I was swept into a cab with three other Penn State girls and was on my way to my new Italian apartment.

While zipping along the cobblestone streets through the heart of Florence it finally hit me. This is home for the next four months of my life. This is not a week long vacation, or a school trip during spring break. I will be completely immersed in a culture totally foreign to my own.

In these past five days I have faced a whirlwind of emotions. I have felt stressed, after getting lost in a city where I speak no Italian. I have felt blown away from the sheer beauty of this old, rustic place. I have also felt gratitude to be able to call Florence home for the next semester.

With classes starting tomorrow I know I will be adding many more emotions to the list. But whether I am feeling stressed or excited, I know this semester will be one that I will never forget. I can’t wait to see what Italy has in store for me for the next four months.

Location: Via del Moro