Mein Lieblingsland (My favorite country)

Before I left for Europe, I expected myself to be trekking through a different country every weekend.  I thought I could get enough of Vienna during the week and would be able to experience all the other European capitals on Saturdays and Sundays.  But, during my two months here I have found myself wanting to explore Austria more than any other country.  There are so many beautiful and hidden parts of my host land and discovering them has been so exciting.

One weekend, my friends and I took a trip to southern Austria, where we spent a lot time outdoors, mingling with the locals.  First, we went to an open-air museum in the mountains where we learned a lot about how Austrians lived before modern times.  It was really refreshing to finally breathe fresh mountain air and spend some time in nature.  After the museum, we spent a night in Graz, the second largest city in Austria.  It is a college city and filled with people our age.  We had a great night practicing our German with the locals! On Sunday, we stopped in a small town on the boarder of Austria and Slovenia called Gamlitz to join in on their fall festival celebration.  We ate like traditional Austrians, listened to folk music, and watched a big parade.  This was my first experience with a small town in Austria and I absolutely loved it.  Everyone was very friendly and open.

DSC00582.jpg

On another Sunday, we travelled to Styria, a state in the southeast of Austria.  In one day, we toured the famous Melk Abbey, hiked ancient ruins, tasted wine at a family-run vineyard, and ate at a traditional Austrian Heuriger.  It was exhausting, but one of the best days I’ve had so far.  Because all these places are so close to home, I get to do much more than if I had left Austria.  By visiting these places and by taking my time to know this country, I find myself falling more and more in love with Austria.

DSC00763.JPG

On a sadder note, this week marked the halfway point of my study abroad and I can’t say I’m too excited about it.  Now, I’m on the downhill and instead of seeing endless possibilities, I finally see my limitations for study abroad.  Most of my weekends are filled with trips to different countries, excursions within Austria, and outings in Vienna.  I feel time slowly slipping away from me and I’m scared the end will be here before I know it, but I’m also so proud and astounded by what I have already done here.  I really feel as if I have taken advantage of what my study abroad has to offer.

Location: Vienna, Austria, Europe