Home Stretch

Thumbnail image for IMG_20140719_144858126.jpg

So here we are in the final week of field school. Survey is over and I’m back in my original excavation unit. It’s a little weird jumping back into the excavation pits after being away for the last few weeks and I have to get use to leveling out the dirt as I dig again. However I won’t have much time because we’re only digging for another day or two before we close up the excavation. I’m somewhat torn about heading home, I would love to stay here for maybe one more week to see a few more of the archaeological sites around the country and maybe even go to Jerusalem. On the other hand I’m ready to go home and sleep in for the next month before heading back to Penn State for the fall and spring semesters.                

This past weekend we headed down to the beautiful coastal city of Caesarea after touring the University Of Haifa Museum and the Carmel Caves, which is a UNESCO World Heritage Site between Haifa and Caesarea. Haifa is a beautiful city and its position on the mountains allow for stunning views of the Mediterranean and the Akko/Haifa Bay which can also be seen from the University Of Haifa Museum. In fact without a doubt I have never been in a museum with such a stunning backdrop provided for the exhibits.

After touring the museum we drove about a half hour to the Carmel Caves before heading down to Caesarea. The Carmel Caves are home to some of the oldest prehistoric tool production sites in the world, we even were allowed to explore one of the caves as well as check out some of the ancient tools. Then we headed down the coast to Caesarea which was built for Caesar Augustus by King Herod. After entering the city we walked into a large open air theatre where a path led us to a large amphitheater where chariot races were held and King Herod’s pool which basically sits in the Mediterranean. Tourist are allowed to walk in the pool while watching as the waves of the sea crash against the last bit of remaining structure a few feet away. Next we toured some of the street ruins before grabbing a bite to eat and slowly making your way out of the city. Walking through Caesarea felt like walking through a dream, no matter where you look there’s a picturesque scene a few feet away and as the day slipped by and the sun begin to set over the horizon of the sea, the city became even more beautiful. Finally we made one more stop at a beach about five minutes away where an aqueduct that carried water into the city stood in the sand. Beachgoers of all ages were climbing on top of ruin to take pictures as the sun set,  most of us were pretty tired by then but we managed to climb on top before heading back to Akko. This was by far my favorite field trip here in Akko and one I hope to make again in the future.

Thumbnail image for IMG_20140719_145549541.jpg

Location: Akko, Israel