Week Three: Home?

It really hit me hard this week. And, surprisingly, I’m not talking about homesickness. Quite the opposite, actually. 

Of course I experienced the feeling of disbelief at the fact that I was really going to be in London for an entire summer at the beginning of my program, but this week the realization hit me once again. And this time, in full force. I thought it would sink in looking at Big Ben, seeing double-decker buses (driving on the left-hand side, of course), or hearing the British accent, but I could have never imagined this feeling would come while hearing the announcement that my stop was next on the tube.

After a full day at work, I was exhausted and couldn’t wait to get back to my room and relax. I got on the over-crowded tube frustrated that so many people seemed to be on my exact schedule. After what seemed like forever, I heard: “The next station is Angel” and I thought to myself “Finally. I can’t wait to behome.” And that’s exactly when it hit me. I was calling the house I’ve been staying in and this city I’ve lived in for 3 weeks home and I couldn’t help but smile to myself. I’m in London. I started thinking about everything I’ve done so far and all that’s in store for the rest of my time here and immediately found myself in a better mood. I walked the rest of the way home thinking about how happy I am to be here and how lucky I am to be having such an amazing experience. 

This week was full of adventures and exploring…my favorite. Visiting the Victoria and Albert Museum and the Tate Modern for my art class was more exciting than I had imagined and I found myself enjoying art more than ever before. And, researching and writing for a travel guide website has only made my list of places to visit longer. 

The weekend kicked off with a music event and live bands on Friday. After a delicious brunch on Saturday, a few friends and I ventured to Trafalgar Square for West End Live, a free music event that features song previews of different shows, including Les Mis, the Lion King, Stomp, and Jersey Boys. We stayed for a a bit and then made our way to the National Art Gallery, right behind the event. We saw a lot of famous artists, like Manet, Van Gogh, and Monet and got to appreciate a lot of good art.

The day was still young, so we decided to make a trip to Covent Garden, but not without stopping to see a street performer first.

image

image

What we saw was amazing. This guy would pose us in a certain way and then pose himself to match us. And, Covent Garden didn’t disappoint with street performers, either.

image

This one rode a 7 foot tall unicycle and managed to squeeze a tennis racket over his body while doing so. Following the show, we browsed through the market for a bit and found lots of handmade items. To finish the night a trip to the island Malta was booked, so it looks like I’ll finally have some good summer weather after all! Today was spent shopping and spending more time at West End Live, making it obvious that going to see a show (among many other things) is definitely on my list of things to do.

As week three wraps up, I’m looking forward to everything coming up. I didn’t think it could get much better than this, but I have a feeling these next few weeks are about to prove that wrong.

Location: London

One thought on “Week Three: Home?

1. NEIL ALEXANDER DONOVAN

Yeah, Covent Garden is street performer/vendor central, always something great to be found there.

Glad to hear that it felt great getting back to the flat, because that happened to me a lot over the month I was there. Maybe I didn’t think of it as home, but it was great after a long trek around the city or out on a trip to come back and just sit down.

Don’t let your sickness get you down, though! It’s a great time, and you don’t want to get so sick you lie in bed all day and miss it!