Getting Tubed

If you go to London, take heart: this is the very best of soccer hooliganism. My friend Alonso tells me soccer (or football, depending where you’re from) chants are awesome. Having never been to a proper British football game (the World Cup’s in Brazil, unfortunately, and the Premier League wrapped up as soon as I got here), I can’t confirm, but what I heard of these guys only confirms those suspicions.

These guys did it for quite a while, actually, and I only just remembered my camera was in my backpack 44 seconds before our subway train came. And yes, they got on the train and continued, but I was too busy holding on to the railings for dear life or else I would’ve filmed more.

The rides on the Underground really remind me of roller coasters – no other form of rail transportation has you rollicking around, making so much noise as the wheels pass over the rails, as roller coasters. I really feel like I’m going on an adventure every single time I get on one, because roller coasters used to fill me with anxiety- Now I love the noise they make. I’ve even ridden on actual trains in London, which don’t feel nearly as unstable.

But besides the actual ride, the Underground is so damn useful for getting around London. Our program came with the stipulation that we would ge Oyster passes for riding around on the Underground, which basically allow you to never pay for a physical ticket. With all the traveling we’ve done around London, having to wait in line at an e-ticket machine or a ticket window would’ve been absolutely dreadful. Plus, the trains themselves are really punctual and on time – I’ve covered a distance of 15 miles within Greater London within an hour – it would’ve taken half a day on foot.

Try and get by walking everywhere down there.

Even yesterday, when we were riding a bus to a bus station to get on a different bus, Emily remarked that taking the Underground would’ve been so much easier, as there’s a station right outside the bus station. Nearly everyone was in either loud or silent agreement. So, to sum up, all public forms of city transportation pale in comparison to the clockwork precision and loud ricketing of the London Underground. Oh yeah. Here’s me by the way. Welcome. Let’s find out more about London together.

Location: London, United Kingdom