Not the City or the Jungle

The caves at Cheddar gorge have to be the most magical sight I’ve seen in England (so far… I haven’t been on the Harry Potter studio tour yet).

IMG_0088.JPGThe glittering calcite formations, mirror-like pools, and dark fissures gave the caves an enchanting feel that surely inspired J.R.R. Tolkien when he honeymooned in Cheddar almost one hundred years ago. They had a fantasy spin-off in one of the caves, in fact — demons and dragons battled us as we ventured through the cave to find the Crystal of Light. It was a bit cheesy, but we still had fun.

IMG_1443 Gandalf says you shall not pass!.JPGAnd needless to say, we made endless use of the quote “Up up up up up the stairs we go until we come to the tunnel”, especially as we climbed the 274 steps to the top of Cheddar Gorge. The top was complete with a lookout tower straight from Far Cry.

IMG_1467 I'd also climbed that.JPGIMG_1466.JPGIMG_1489.JPGIMG_1492 wooo pretty gorge-ous.JPGThe view was spectacular, but we had to turn back to catch the coach. And leave time to buy some Original Cheddar Cheese! They mature the cheese in the caves, and you can actually see the cheese in the caves. Cheddar was a bit small, so we had some extra time to take a detour through Wells on our way back. We walked around the vast outdoor market and saw the cathedral there.

IMG_1500.JPGI accidentally left my camera behind while putting on my hoodie, so I owe Cassidy many thanks for the pictures.

Location: Cheddar, UK

2 thoughts on “Not the City or the Jungle

1. NICHOLAS ANDREW DYSZEL

The hike certainly was worth it! I’m so glad the rain held off because we could see for miles across the plains on the other side of the ridge.
    Sorry, the camera bit is a bit vague; I actually left my camera back in my room, not in Cheddar, so fortunately I didn’t lose it.

2. LISA ANN SAMPSELL

Nicholas, it looks like the hike up those 274 stairs was well worth it. Cheddar Gorge is beautiful, and what a view! The fact that you actually got to buy cheddar cheese at the end makes it sound like a pretty perfect experience. I’m just sorry you left your camera behind. Did you ever get it back?

Lisa Sampsell, Education Abroad