Well, Thanks for Keeping Us Dry Anyway

I think there have been 1 or 2 days in which it did not rain since I arrived. So I am exceptionally grateful that campus is small, and most of the walkways are covered. That turns a 15-minute walk/run in the elements at Penn State into a mostly sheltered 5-minute walk between neighbouring buildings. Also, having to spend no more than 10 minutes outside to get on the bus helps incredibly. Apparently, Bath has been receiving more rainfall than usual, and it definitely shows in the River Avon, which is currently over its banks. We haven’t had any flooding, though, which I is a relief, although I hear reports daily of the severe flooding in nearby parts of the country. You (hopefully) can read about the unseasonal weather and its impact on the BBC.

Enough complaining about the weather. I have been up to quite a bit since my last post. Last Friday, we had an exchange student party at Molloy’s Pub and the Second Bridge (a nightclub). I’ve been getting a taste of what the British listen to- pretty much the same music as Americans. We danced to “We Can’t Stop”, “Macarena”, and “Gangnam Style” (I got to teach a few friends from continental Europe to do the Gangnam Style dance!), just to name a few.

Saturday, a friend and I toured the Roman Baths, which are built over the only hot springs in England. I was surpirised by how heavily the baths have been redesigned throughout the ages. The Great Bath (pictured below) originally consisted of just the pool and arcade. The Pump Room, seen in the back and partly covered by scaffolding, was added much later; it was designed in the 1700s by Thomas Baldwin.

DSCF5312.JPGThe Romans believed the water from the hot spring was blessed with the healing power of the gods. The Romans named this spring after Sulis Minerva, a hybrid between the Celtic goddess Sulis and the Roman goddess Minerva. They built a temple for the goddess; however, the temple no longer stands. Fortunately, the gilt head of the statue of Sulis Minerva survived and is on display in the museum adjoining the baths.

DSCF5289.JPG

The museum also has the Gorgon’s head from the temple’s pediment:

Thumbnail image for DSCF5262.JPGNow compare this with the head in the University of Bath’s logo

At the end of the tour, one has the opportunity to drink the spring water. I have this much to say: it was warm and contained a noticeable quantity of sulphites/sulphates (think rotten egg smell). It’s something one must try to truly appreciate.

Sadly, I caught a bit of hay fever earlier this week, so after the baths, life became rather dreary. I’m feeling much better today, and got out to do some shopping after classes- plimsolls, anyone?

Cheers!

Location: Bath, United Kingdom

2 thoughts on “Well, Thanks for Keeping Us Dry Anyway

1. Theresa Deppenschmidt

I feel your pain about the dreariness and rain. I literally think Vienna has had 4 days where the sun was actually out since I arrived.

2. Justin G. Roth

Sounds like you’re seeing and learning a lot over there! Glad to hear you’re enjoying the experience and that you’ve made some new friends. Stay safe and have a great time — we miss you!