The First Week of Classes and Liverpool!

It has been almost two weeks since I arrived in Leeds, and I must confess that I love it here.  I live off campus, and the university is actually quite far from where I live.  On average, it takes about 45 minutes to walk to campus, but it can take longer depending on the weather (or if you get lost).  Even though the walk to and from the university is a bit time consuming, there is a lot of beautiful scenery to admire on the way there.

AlongThe River

I have been able to walk to the university in about 30 minutes, but I have officially bought a bus pass for the semester.  I thought this was best for those days when it is raining (which has been most days).

The semester has started for students at the University of Leeds.  I am taking three modules (courses).  Each module consist of a one hour lecture and a one hour seminar/tutorial. Both the lecture and the tutorial occurs only once a week, leaving a lot of free time.  I also have three our workshop for my political science module that occurs 3 times during the semester.  Having a lot of free time is great, because not only do I get to explore and travel, but I also get enough time do all my readings for my modules.  My modules consist of a lot of reading, and it would be almost impossible to get everything read if I didn’t have quite a bit of free time. This Thursday, I am attending the play Refugee Boy for my political science module, Contemporary Africa. I hope to discuss my reactions to the play next time.  Also, all my professors are great and really seem to enjoy the material they discuss in class.

On Saturday, I visited Liverpool with some friends who are also international/study abroad students. Liverpool is a very beautiful city and there were numerous attractions for people to see.

IMG_0626.JPGIMG_0601.JPG

While in Liverpool, we explored the city and visited some of the museums.  The one museum we were all excited for was the Beatles Story Liverpool.

The Beatles

It was a really cool museum, and I learned a lot about the Beatles. The Beatles Story Liverpool is definitely a must see for Beatles fans! 

Another museum we visited was Tate Liverpool.  The art in Tate ranged from interesting to absolutely amazing.  There was Picasso painting at Tate which was very exciting to see! I was so excited I had to take a picture to show everyone!

Picasso

This is the Picasso painting at Tate Liverpool. There is a bowl of fruit, a violin, and a bottle in this painting. Do you see them?

I had a lot of fun in Liverpool. There was just so much to do, and it was beautiful. My next trip will most likely be to either Newcastle or Manchester or both!

Below are some more pictures of Liverpool!

Liverpool 1.JPG

Liverpool 3.JPG

Liverpool 4.JPG

Cheers

~ Jazmin

Location: Leeds, UK

2 thoughts on “The First Week of Classes and Liverpool!

1. KATHLEEN FERNANDEZ

Wow, liverpool looks beautiful!

I think I see the bowl of fruit and the violin, but not the bottle… hmm

2. KATHLEEN FERNANDEZ

Wow, liverpool looks beautiful!