And the Journey Begins

Hello, everyone!

My name is Emily Hyman, and I’m going to be blogging about my study abroad experience in Bognor Regis, a resort town along the English Channel about 2 hours south of London. I am currently a junior at Penn State majoring in elementary education with a minor in special education.

I have always wanted to travel and see the world. I have a real sense of wanderlust, you could say. I love seeing new places, experiencing new culture, and learning about myself in the process. This desire to see the world is why I almost immediately decided I was studying abroad upon learning of my program in England.

Today, my decision to study abroad has finally come to fruition. Not that it was an easy road to get there. From miscommunications to utter confusion, there were times I panicked and wondered if I would even be able to study abroad at all. But the pieces fell together, and today I’ll be flying out of Philadelphia to Heathrow Airport in London.

With my trip finally here, I’m actually shocked by how little nerves I’ve had. The thing that frightens me most is catching my plane. I haven’t worried too much about where I’ll be living, if I’ll make friends, or what my classes will be like. I’ve come to the conclusion that, just like my study abroad trip itself, the pieces will fall together.

While abroad, I’m hoping to learn a lot about myself. I want to branch out, and hopefully I’ll be able to visit a lot of different countries and meet all sorts of new people. I cannot wait to arrive in England tomorrow morning and start this new journey.

England, here I come!

Emily

Location: Lancaster, Pennsylvania